Videostream for Chromecast: Stream Local Video From Your Computer

azmirr

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
A couple friends and I have been working on an app the last couple weeks for streaming local videos to your Chromecast without any of the hassle of setting up a media server (cough cough - Plex). I've seen people post about it a few times here, so I thought i'd make a thread and get some feedback from you guys!

Videostream is a Chrome App that lets you take local video and stream it (without lag) in full 1080p to your Chromecast. Right now we only support .mp4 files but very soon (hopefully this week) we'll be expanding to support many more file types / codecs through the use of ffmpeg - this will give us more or less the same file format coverage as VLC.

www.streamchromecast.com

Anyways, I'm hoping to hear what you guys think of it and if any of you have any ideas for new features I'd love to hear them!!!

JiminCO

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I think your Videstream app is fantastic. I happen to find it a week or so in the app store and tired it. It worked flawlessly. It is stable, easy to install, use once it is lauched, and casts a high quality video. But wait there's more............. My ONLY wish list item for it is to have a launch button on the toolbar. Currently I have to go to the app store and select the launch option there to get the app to load on my computer.

Can't wait for other file support.

Jim

azmirr

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a bunch JiminCo!!! We've been hearing that a lot lately so are working on something to make launching the app a bit easier.

We built VideoStream as a Chrome App (a little different from the extensions you're probably used to). The neat thing about Chrome apps is that they can actually look and feel like native OS apps, meaning that they can be launched from the Start Menu (windows) or Launchpad/Applications folder (OSX), just search for "VideoStream" either OS and it should popup!

Happy streaming and thanks for the kind words!

JiminCO

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Been using VedoStream for several weeks now. Still love it for both its ease of use and stability. Just wondering how the addition of other formats is coming along.

MrBobsen

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Great app! Thanks. Getting some 'stopping' and 'starting' aka stuttering with some .mkv files, any ideas what I can do to solve this problem?
TIA,
Bobsen

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not a bad idea. What I've done as a work around is just play videos via Chrome and cast the tab... Once your app supports more files I may try it :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Graham Jones3

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I really like this app.
I had been using plex but having issues with it so decided to try something different.
I like that you can add subtitles with the srt file, but it's a little disapointing that this isn't remembered as a setting for subsequent viewings of the same video file.

I'd like to know when there will be an iOS version.

Also, will it be possible for you guys to allow different playlists so I can organise my content into genres and see movie posters in the app ? I guess this sounds like I'm asking for a media server type interface, but I'm no expert on these things and wondered if it could be incorporated in your app ?

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
It's an awesome app, well worth purchasing for the playlist functionality.

One issue: hadn't used the app for a couple of days, but left it running - went back to it and the app needed to be reconnected to chromecast, although chrome itself was still connected.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

apraetor

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
It's an awesome app, well worth purchasing for the playlist functionality.

One issue: hadn't used the app for a couple of days, but left it running - went back to it and the app needed to be reconnected to chromecast, although chrome itself was still connected.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

I'm a little confused by the question. If the Chromecast goes idle it will disconnect, that's normal. If there is no stream actively playing, and nothing paused, then after a couple of hours my Chromecast will drop the connection and revert to the wallpaper/photo mode. It doesn't happen if there's something playing, so I assume the severing of long-idle sessions is by design.

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Just got a Chromecast (an early Christmas present) and am experimenting with all that means. Upshot was that I then downloaded Chrome to my Mac, if only to access and cast the TV networks online I regularly visit. But as I did a search for the casting extension, I also saw Videostream listed. Once I got regular casting set up and working, I came back and investigated Videostream. I have a number of locally stored videos on my Mac, so this seemed like an easy option to get them over to my TV. Installed and tested on a couple of my videos and all seems fine so far. (Avira Antivirus, BTW)

If I have a niggle, its something that has already been mentioned above - that Videostream needs to have a launch button on Chrome's toolbar and/or the ability to have an 'Alias' icon for the Mac desktop/dock. I've done the Spotlight search to go straight there, but it's awkward.

Otherwise, nice going guys. I don't know that I need the Premium version, but time will tell.

sswitzer

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it was behaving as expected - I came to figure that out. I've since stopped using the app, as it couldn't consistently get past my firewall, even using their firewall fixer. I now either cast youtube or load vids onto my sd card and cast using ES Explorer.