Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb Videostream for Chromecast: Stream Local Video From Your Computer

A couple friends and I have been working on an app the last couple weeks for streaming local videos to your Chromecast without any of the hassle of setting up a media server (cough cough - Plex). I've seen people post about it a few times here, so I thought i'd make a thread and get some feedback from you guys!

Videostream is a Chrome App that lets you take local video and stream it (without lag) in full 1080p to your Chromecast. Right now we only support .mp4 files but very soon (hopefully this week) we'll be expanding to support many more file types / codecs through the use of ffmpeg - this will give us more or less the same file format coverage as VLC.

www.streamchromecast.com

Anyways, I'm hoping to hear what you guys think of it and if any of you have any ideas for new features I'd love to hear them!!!

Default Re: Videostream for Chromecast: Stream Local Video From Your Computer

I think your Videstream app is fantastic. I happen to find it a week or so in the app store and tired it. It worked flawlessly. It is stable, easy to install, use once it is lauched, and casts a high quality video. But wait there's more............. My ONLY wish list item for it is to have a launch button on the toolbar. Currently I have to go to the app store and select the launch option there to get the app to load on my computer.

Can't wait for other file support.

Jim
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks a bunch JiminCo!!! We've been hearing that a lot lately so are working on something to make launching the app a bit easier.

We built VideoStream as a Chrome App (a little different from the extensions you're probably used to). The neat thing about Chrome apps is that they can actually look and feel like native OS apps, meaning that they can be launched from the Start Menu (windows) or Launchpad/Applications folder (OSX), just search for "VideoStream" either OS and it should popup!

Happy streaming and thanks for the kind words!

Been using VedoStream for several weeks now. Still love it for both its ease of use and stability. Just wondering how the addition of other formats is coming along.
    Thanked by:

Hi Awaiting when your app supports AVI and MKV files
    Thanked by:

Great app! Thanks. Getting some 'stopping' and 'starting' aka stuttering with some .mkv files, any ideas what I can do to solve this problem?
    TIA,
    Bobsen

Does it support subtitles?

My mobile app just says its searching for the app to be open on the computer, but it is open....

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Just added this. Great app. Amazing how Chrome can't do this, but your app can. Props!
    Phones: LG Nexus 5 & Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Tablets: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 & Asus Nexus 7 (2012)

Great app, Azmirr! Congrats!

A question: does it support subtitles? How does that work?

Thanks.

Works great from my laptop, haven't tried it from my phone yet.

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

O got it! You load the .srt file separatly.

Thanks.

Not a bad idea. What I've done as a work around is just play videos via Chrome and cast the tab... Once your app supports more files I may try it .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.