Chromecast: Usable on WiFi Hotspot (2x phones)?

Oliver Hyde

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi I am thinking of taking my chromecast on holiday with me and was wondering will the chromecast hook up to a Wifi hotspot that my phone creates, in order to use allcast to stream films to the tv?
Technically because I have the content locally it won't cost me a thing correct?
Any help would be great, otherwise I'll just test it out see if it works

Last edited by a moderator:

Ikeman90

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is it possible to use a Chromecast with a wifi hotspot?

Don't think so cuz your phone and the chrome cast have to the on the same network. Your phone is not connected to the connection it creates. Even in setting up the chrome pcast it'll disable the hotspot anyway

Posted via Android Central App

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site

If you've got two devices (one as hotspot, one as controller with the media on) it'll work.

MikeyB4

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

It does work. I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 and use MyWi as my wifi hotspot. I was at a Westin hotel and their internet requires a login screen to work. I brought a travel router with me but for some weird reason the Chromecast would not see my travel router's internet connection. What i did to make this work was to connect my iphone to the hotel wifi. Then I set up MyWi as a hotspot to broadcast the hotel's wifi. I then connected the Chromecast to the MyWi SSID.

I hope this wasn't too confusing to figure out. It took me a lot of trial and error to get this working but once it works, it's awesome.

dnapro

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

When I'm at my holiday home I use my ipad as the hotspot and my Note 3 to send content to my Chromecast, It'll work like a charm :)

vegeth1985

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
It does work. I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 and use MyWi as my wifi hotspot. I was at a Westin hotel and their internet requires a login screen to work. I brought a travel router with me but for some weird reason the Chromecast would not see my travel router's internet connection. What i did to make this work was to connect my iphone to the hotel wifi. Then I set up MyWi as a hotspot to broadcast the hotel's wifi. I then connected the Chromecast to the MyWi SSID.

I hope this wasn't too confusing to figure out. It took me a lot of trial and error to get this working but once it works, it's awesome.

hi! but for android there is this possibility?

i have found FoxFi and i can made hotspot but i need 3 devices? 1 nexus 5 (in hotspot) + 1 chromecast + 1 second smartphone (to connect in chromecast)? i want use only my nexus and chromecast. No pc no second smartphone is possible with this app?

vegeth1985

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

hi! but for android there is this possibility?

i have found FoxFi and i can made hotspot but i need 3 devices? 1 nexus 5 (in hotspot) + 1 chromecast + 1 second smartphone (to connect in chromecast)? i want use only my nexus and chromecast. No pc no second smartphone is possible with this app?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol