Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Streaming the display from Android device across a network

Hello, I'm new to Android development and am doing some research on how to stream the display during application runtime.

Something similar to what I aim to accomplish:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...enstream.trial

The non-trial version doesn't stop streaming after 3 minutes

Streaming the display is performed either if it is foregrounded or while backgrounded. Unless the device is rooted, a script has to be run on the PC to which you are connecting (which makes it inflexible).

The differences are that I am aiming for something more flexible than requiring a rooted device and steaming to a PC, and only needs to stream its display while foregrounded. It's not about just streaming a video. No, I am not looking to cast to a Chromecast device (that seems even more limiting; although - maybe the Google cast SDK-s are more flexible and can be used for other purposes, if so I would like to hear someone say otherwise). Most importantly, I need to know how the streaming is accomplished. The application I mentioned is some proof that streaming the display can be done, however I should know how it can be done.

What I am asking for is any knowledge on existing SDK-s that can help with streaming the display from an application running on Android over a network (providing a link for live streaming). They could be any kits provided by Google, free tools, or existing methods on the Android OS.

Global Posts
    4,540 Global Posts
    ROM
    I'M RUNNING STOCK BABY!

Default Re: Streaming the display from Android device across a network

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sava View Post
    Hello, I'm new to Android development and am doing some research on how to stream the display during application runtime.

Something similar to what I aim to accomplish:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...enstream.trial

The non-trial version doesn't stop streaming after 3 minutes

Streaming the display is performed either if it is foregrounded or while backgrounded. Unless the device is rooted, a script has to be run on the PC to which you are connecting (which makes it inflexible).

The differences are that I am aiming for something more flexible than requiring a rooted device and steaming to a PC, and only needs to stream its display while foregrounded. It's not about just streaming a video. No, I am not looking to cast to a Chromecast device (that seems even more limiting; although - maybe the Google cast SDK-s are more flexible and can be used for other purposes, if so I would like to hear someone say otherwise). Most importantly, I need to know how the streaming is accomplished. The application I mentioned is some proof that streaming the display can be done, however I should know how it can be done.

What I am asking for is any knowledge on existing SDK-s that can help with streaming the display from an application running on Android over a network (providing a link for live streaming). They could be any kits provided by Google, free tools, or existing methods on the Android OS.

I'm not sure about this one. Does it have to be live? Can you create a recording of the screen on your device and the show it live?

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Streaming the display from Android device across a network

Recording the screen could be a first step, yes. The objective, however, would be to make it live.

For anyone looking into similar issues, here is a cool freely accessible project that you might find interesting:
    https://github.com/google/grafika