Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does Chromecast stream purchased content from Google Play Videos?

I was on a web chat with an HTC rep about the Media Link adapter not streaming DRM content from Google Play Videos and he said that DRM content shouldn't even stream to the Chromecast.. He said that DRM streaming is blocked due to content owners, and not something Google has control over.. is this true or false?

I've purchased quite a few movies from Google Play and would love to stream to my TV and of course, the Media Link doesn't support it.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

Default Re: Does Chromecast stream purchased content from Google Play Videos?

My Purchased content works fine. Essentially anything on Google Play Videos that works on your device is supposed to work on your chromecast.

The CC adheres to HDCP, and for all intensive purposes is a closed system. Content providers are generally favorable as long as the playback device supports HDCP.

The HTC Media Link device just streams from your phone and because the media Link device isn't the playback device it won't get HDCP approval. Basically HDCP would never be given to it since there is no way to validate what it is getting should be controlled or not.

The sales person is completely full of it for the most part. He is right that Content providers with DRM'd content don't want there stuff over unsecured links, but the CC is secured by HDCP.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

According to this, it appears the UK version of the HTC Media Link supports HDCP v1.2??

HTC Media Link HD Wireless HDMI Adapter with UK Mains: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

So on my HTC One M7, I couldn't get any purchased movies from Google Play to stream, it would error out.

On my HTC One M8, sound plays fine, but video doesn't play, black screen. I assume this is because of HDCP.. sucks.. now I have to spend more money on a Chromecast when I already spent $99x2 for these Media Links
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

Actually, I don't think that is HDCP since you get audio. That is more likely something in the HTC software not allowing the video steam to be passed to the media link device.

Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

So cool to see someone else with the same issue I have. Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry that you are having the issue; I am just glad to see that I am not alone. I have spoken with at&t (no help, not their issue) Google play ( no clue, Sent me to HTC) , finally HTC.... I sent my precious phone to them. A week later it comes back, and it still has audio and no video. I have no idea what could be causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    Actually, I don't think that is HDCP since you get audio. That is more likely something in the HTC software not allowing the video steam to be passed to the media link device.

Posted via Android Central App