Chromecast with $80 Tmobile plan as sole Internet?

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody have any experience using Chromecast with the TMo $80 plan?

My goal is to use this as my sole Internet connection in my apt and just cast Netflix HD and Hulu+ to my tv.

I'll be using my Moto X. Website says TMo $80 plan hotspot is limited to 5gb, but nothing about Chromecast.

My problem is that the apt I'm moving into is currently limited to 3mbps dsl. I don't know if it'll be enough for Netflix HD.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Chromecast is not generally cast as something specially... Its a Device that uses Wifi and is cast as such like anything else "Laptop, Tablet, Other Phones, Wireless desktop"... If it connects to hotspot, it will use data as a "Wifi device".. It wont get special treatment :/

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
If you have your hotspot turned on on your phone and connect the Chromecast to the hotspot via wifi, then start netflix on your phone ans cast it to the chromecast it most likely will work. That is assuming the phone and chromecast see each other as being on the same network.

Sent from my GT-N8013

genoist

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The Chromecast has its own connection to the Internet. The phone only acts as a remote control. The Chromecast usage will count towards your 5GB of hotspot usage.

A better option will be to connect your phone to your TV directly using something like a SlimPort adapter, an MHL adapter, or an AllShare Cast adapter depending on what your phone supports.

This second option would only use the Internet connection from the phone, thus would be completely unlimited.

Posted via Android Central App