Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FutureKix
  • 1 Post By FutureKix
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Setup time and remembering password?

I'd like to use my Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1 x86) for presentations, and showing other media (websites and YouTube videos) at school, but before I spend my money on the Chromecast, I need to know if it'll automatically log onto my school network, or any other network I've set up before with the Chromecast App?

My school's network also has no password protection, but it does have authentication for the actual internet park of the WiFi network, that usually shows in the form of a pop-up browser window. It's not a big issue as I often use my own personal network, but it is something to consider.

Default Re: Setup time and remembering password?

This is an amazing question! I never even thought of that! My guess would be no. The only thing I can think of... if you can contact your school tech admins and give them the MAC of the hypothetical Chromecast they may be able to manually grant it access.

A little Googling got me this, you may find it helpful. There are some good ideas there.

Also, this. Check out "Can I take my Chromecast with me to use when I travel?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by FutureKix View Post
    This is an amazing question! I never even thought of that! My guess would be no. The only thing I can think of... if you can contact your school tech admins and give them the MAC of the hypothetical Chromecast they may be able to manually grant it access.

A little Googling got me this, you may find it helpful. There are some good ideas there.

Also, this. Check out "Can I take my Chromecast with me to use when I travel?
    Looks like I'd be using my own network then. Thanks for the quick reply, it also answered my question about remembering passwords (moving from one TV to another TV).

I would need to buy an extra adapter to connect the HDMI cord from our projector to Chromecast, which means it wouldn't be more than $10 cheaper, and I plan to be using it for many, many years. Inexpensive Miracast dongles are slightly bigger without micro-USB charging, but they do allow full 1080p extension of the desktop, which together with PowerPoint allows for better presentations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias Lindberg View Post
    Looks like I'd be using my own network then. Thanks for the quick reply, it also answered my question about remembering passwords (moving from one TV to another TV).

I would need to buy an extra adapter to connect the HDMI cord from our projector to Chromecast, which means it wouldn't be more than $10 cheaper, and I plan to be using it for many, many years. Inexpensive Miracast dongles are slightly bigger without micro-USB charging, but they do allow full 1080p extension of the desktop, which together with PowerPoint allows for better presentations.
    Glad to help. If Miracast serves you better then go for it! Chromecast is awesome but it's certainly not perfect.

I seem to recall early on after the ChromeCast's release, I read a post where someone said that they had moved their cromecast from their home, to their father's house, then when they returned home the CC did remembered their local setiings.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted S3

@Devlyn16, mine doesn't do that - everytime I take it somewhere, I have to re-setup - and it forgets my home network when I do that. YMMV.

again I've never taken mine anywhere so I cant speak to it beyond what I read here.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]