Chromecast is an annoying piece of crap.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
This thing is so (language cleanup) terrible. Sometimes it'll want to be found on the network, other times it won't. Sometimes I'll actually be able to watch some YouTube through it, then all of a sudden it'll disconnect and start playing on my phone whilst still playing on the TV.

Too many times it cannot be found on the network at all, when every single other WiFi device can be found 100% of the time with no problem. From phones, laptops, tablets, gaming consoles, TV's etc. Only the Chromecast has issues.

I've frigging had it . For a few weeks now I've tried and tried to fix it but nothing works. I hate when Google release beta products to market and they barely work. If there's one thing I'll praise Apple for is when they release something they have a polished device from day one and it'll at least do what it's advertised to do.

I'll just sell this crap and wait for Chromecast v2 which hopefully is a functioning device.

ege6y5y7.jpg

Every time.
Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
That's really unfortunate. I've had the Chromecast since right after it was launched and have never had any problems with it.

My only suggestion since nothing else on your network seems to be affected is check the powers supply. Is its through USB, make sure it's giving off enough juice. Or if it plugged into the wall, make sure nothing is hitting it and loosening it in the outlet.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
That's really unfortunate. I've had the Chromecast since right after it was launched and have never had any problems with it.

My only suggestion since nothing else on your network seems to be affected is check the powers supply. Is its through USB, make sure it's giving off enough juice. Or if it plugged into the wall, make sure nothing is hitting it and loosening it in the outlet.

DITTO!!

Posted from my VZW GALAXY S3

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not anything to do with the power supply. It's in its own socket and it's flush against the wall. I can pull it out and put something else in there and it works fine.

I'm just going to sell the chromecast. I spend more time trying to fix the damn thing then I do watching the content I want to watch. I'll just go back to putting stuff on USB sticks and plugging them into the TV's USB port. At least that's reliable.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not anything to do with the power supply. It's in its own socket and it's flush against the wall. I can pull it out and put something else in there and it works fine.

I'm just going to sell the chromecast. I spend more time trying to fix the damn thing then I do watching the content I want to watch. I'll just go back to putting stuff on USB sticks and plugging them into the TV's USB port. At least that's reliable.

But it is pretty reliable for other people, including myself, so you are blaming an entire product for what in reality sounds like just a bad unit.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm on my second because I lost the first one while traveling. Had occasional connection issues with this one on my home WiFi, but nothing major.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I had some of the problems the OP is complaining about if not all of them. Switching from USB to the wall wort power supply fixed pretty much everything. I think I did a factory reset on mine as well. Now it is very reliable.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
But it is pretty reliable for other people, including myself, so you are blaming an entire product for what in reality sounds like just a bad unit.

All the more reason to get rid of then don't you think?

Funny who the entire Chromecast forum on Android central is just thread after thread of people with issues. It well and truly feels like a device in beta, and we're the subjects to bug test it.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Funny who the entire Chromecast forum on Android central is just thread after thread of people with issues. It well and truly feels like a device in beta, and we're the subjects to bug test it.

To get rid of that one defective unit? Yes. To bag the whole product line as beta and write them all off? No.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Depends on one's ethics about knowingly selling a bad device. Personally I wouldn't.

Funny who the entire Chromecast forum on Android central is just thread after thread of people with issues.

Right, because people without problems are notorious for going on forums and starting countless threads praising a product that works.

Shmoopty

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Smart money says the issue is with your router. It was discovered that a few of the cheaper routers don't have multicast enabled by default.

Look into using Chromecast with your brand of router.

Or just continue your "annoying frigging friggin damn" fit.

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My family loved my first Chromecast so much I bought a second one for my 5 year old son's room. He can operate it without issue. Maybe you are doing it wrong?

joselito76

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine is doing the same thing, but I don't know if is chromecast or the phone. Because resetting the phone is the only thing that make it work. Actually resetting the router fix the problem

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Never had a problem with mine. I come home turn my hot spot on my phone it connects right away and works every time. this thing is great

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Some have issues... Some don't. I agree it definitely isn't perfect.. With my old router I had to do some trickery to get it going the first time but honestly... Once it's connected once. Zero issues... Always on and always pulls up when I demand it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought 2 right when they were announced last year and a third shortly after. All three are in use in my house regularly. Haven't had any issues other than one that had some connectivity issues once and had required a power cycle.

I'd say the OP either has a bad unit or there is some external variable (wifi router settings, interference, etc) that is making their experience subpar.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine last night and played around with it. Having the same issue. Right now it's plugged into the. 5 amp USB on the tv. I will try the 1 amp USB and see if it helps. If not the wall plug in.