Chromecast is an annoying piece of crap.

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Just got mine last night and played around with it. Having the same issue. Right now it's plugged into the. 5 amp USB on the tv. I will try the 1 amp USB and see if it helps. If not the wall plug in.

Mine needs the outlet adapter (wall wart) to work properly. I have tried the USB port on my 6 year old Phillips TV and on my 2 year old Onkyo receiver. Neither one put out enough power for the chrome cast.

Can anyone confirm that they have a USB port powering there Chromecast reliably?

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would highly suggest using the wall plug if you guys aren't and are experiencing issues...

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine needs the outlet adapter (wall wart) to work properly. I have tried the USB port on my 6 year old Phillips TV and on my 2 year old Onkyo receiver. Neither one put out enough power for the chrome cast.

Can anyone confirm that they have a USB port powering there Chromecast reliably?

I have a Samsung Series 403 LCD TV that can power my Chromecast through the USB port.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

All three that I use are powered by USB ports on the TVs and work without issue.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
All the more reason to get rid of then don't you think?

Funny who the entire Chromecast forum on Android central is just thread after thread of people with issues. It well and truly feels like a device in beta, and we're the subjects to bug test it.

I've used it every single day since getting it last September and I'm currently using it to cast a work webinar to my TV while I do other stuff on my laptop. It's definitely not like a beta product for me. It works great.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I have always powered my Chromecast with the USB from my Sharp TV. I didn't even take the Chromecast wall charger out of the box.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
All three that I use are powered by USB ports on the TVs and work without issue.

Depends on the TV and output it gives for USB. Those with power type issues should just use the wall plug to avoid this.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The most reliable option is to use the power adapter. The USB port on most TV's are for flash drives. Those require very little power. Basically around 100 milliamps.

If the TV has usb3.0(my new Samsung 4k tv does) those may be rated up to 1amp. The ports on tv are actually labeled for specific purposes. My guess is because of power output.

The other concern could be the impact of drawing continuous power from the tv circuit board. The continuous power draw could eventually blow the USB fuse or capacitors associated with the USB hub disabling all USB connectivity. Since the CC would probably always push the port to its max output this will probably happen faster.

Part of the problem is allot of this USB power stuff is based on how good or bad that is designed into the circuit board. All you really can do is try it and find out.

TheMaskedMamba

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

Mine is powered by my Motorola Cable box, no issues at all with both chromecasts I have.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

tqking

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm afraid I am finally forced to agree with you.
Over the last few hours I tried just about everything - unplugging the HDMI, using different HDMI ports on my TV, unplugging the USB power supply, and rebooting my laptop, the router, and even turning off/on my TV.
The most I have ever gotten on the TV was a CHROME whirling logo and "chromecast..." at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes.
That is, when the Chromecase was found. If I was lucky.
I have previously plugged all kinds of IP devices into my network, and they all invariably worked.
Except this CHROMECAST piece of crap.
Maybe I can return it to Staples, where I bought it yesterday, and get my money back.
Oh, well the good 'ol HDMI cable connects my Win 8.1 system to the TV pretty well. On any of its three HDMI ports.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Over the last few hours I tried just about everything - unplugging the HDMI, using different HDMI ports on my TV, unplugging the USB power supply, and rebooting my laptop, the router, and even turning off/on my TV.
The most I have ever gotten on the TV was a CHROME whirling logo and "chromecast..." at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes.
I have previously plugged all kinds of IP devices into my network, and they all invariably worked.
Maybe I can return it to Staples, where I bought it yesterday, and get my money back.
Oh, well the good 'ol HDMI cable connects my Win 8.1 system to the TV pretty well. On any of its three HDMI ports.

Did you try exchanging it for another one?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like a dud since it isn't booting. Mine shows that screen for a few seconds then it's up and running.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I'm confused, why would you Finally be forced to agree with someone on your first post in these forums?

As others indicated it sounds like you may have a lemon. As Obvious from the number of people on this forum with functioning units that is not 'par for the course'. I'd recommend exchanging it and then if you meet with any problems open a dialogue here and I'm sure the forum members will do their best to help you out

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting discussion as I mull getting a refurb unit that Groupon has for $25 complete with one year mfg warranty. My problem is whether I even need it since I have a Roku 3 that has over 1300 channels including Plex, Neflix, You Tube, PBS and MLB etc.. Hard to justify the Chromecast when I can also stream photos from my phone with the Roku app. And seeing that Groupon has 1000s of the refurb units doesn't speak too highly for the QC either. It's a shame there's no Ethernet port since I prefer wired to wireless, though I do have an N router with only one devices logged into it.

RoystonB

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't go as far to say it was crap, but I do find it very strange that the only software that Chromecast doesn't work on, is Chrome browser. :eek:

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition and Chromecast works very well with YouTube, FilmOn, etc.. but not it's own companies software. It does work on Chrome Browser on my Laptop.

When are they going to fix this very annoying problem?????????????? :mad:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't go as far to say it was crap, but I do find it very strange that the only software that Chromecast doesn't work on, is Chrome browser. :eek:

I have a Samsung Note 10.1 2014 edition and Chromecast works very well with YouTube, FilmOn, etc.. but not it's own companies software. It does work on Chrome Browser on my Laptop.

When are they going to fix this very annoying problem?????????????? :mad:

It works on my Chrome browser with my PC. :?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv