Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android device mirroring coming to Chromecast

With the next Google Play Services update the following devices will be able to mirror to CC, with other devices added later: HTC One M7, LG G2, LG G2 Pro, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy S5.

Chromecast mirroring will blast any Android display to the big screen | Android Central

Default Re: Android device mirroring coming to Chromecast

Great! which one is better Googles stream stick or Roku? Roku give you a contoller, both need a powered USB, cable included on both, I have a older flat screen 50" not a smart screen Panasonic, are all flat screen USB powered for using either media stick player? looks like the Roku gives mor apps. in the stick. Do we need a smart screen TV? thanks

How do I know if I have the updated GPS? And once I do, how do I go about casting the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by PhobicCarrot View Post
    How do I know if I have the updated GPS? And once I do, how do I go about casting the screen?
    You can check the version number under play services app info.

Don't know for sure but with a miracast adapter there's an option under display in settings and you get a tile in the quick settings shade. I imagine it will work the same.

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by PhobicCarrot View Post
    It's the 5.0.x.x version. But don't bother trying to download it early because the casting will only work once it's whitelisted by Google. I already downloaded it just to make sure that it wasn't already whitelisted and it isn't as of the time I am writing this. Once whitelisted and Play Services updated, depending on your device, Casting will either be in the Quick Settings notifcations, or through your settings, or some devices that don't have those options will be able to do it through the chromecast app.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by rcca View Post
    Great! which one is better Googles stream stick or Roku? Roku give you a contoller, both need a powered USB, cable included on both, I have a older flat screen 50" not a smart screen Panasonic, are all flat screen USB powered for using either media stick player? looks like the Roku gives mor apps. in the stick. Do we need a smart screen TV? thanks
    You don't need a smart tv - that's part of the purpose of the chromecast. You just need an hdmi port and a place to plug it in for power. I don't have a roku to make a personal comparison. Chromecast has at least a few hundred apps that support it - I stopped counting after it got to 300. It also was noted at I/O that there are 10,000 apps in development. Of course all of those won't be completed but even if a fraction are it will end up being a lot.

I haven't looked recently at exactly what roku is offering these days so I don't have much to say about it. I know the roku stick when it first came out was 3-4 times the price of a CC and I don't know if that has changed. I am happy with my CC but I'm sure there are people happy with Roku too. Decide what you want to be able to do with it and look at what works best for you, including cost.
    Thanked by:
    rcca 

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

anyone know how to make this work I can't quite figure it out

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Unless you have a rooted CC you need to wait for the feature to be whitelisted by google. Will be soon.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Nightlies

ok that makes me feel not completely stupid

I'm on my nexus 4 and I'm currently mirroring to my HDTV and its working great!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by rht34 View Post
    I'm on my nexus 4 and I'm currently mirroring to my HDTV and its working great!
    What version of Chromecast app are you running? It's supposed to be 1.7, my Play Store on my Nexus 7 2013 sill shows 1.5.5.

Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    What version of Chromecast app are you running? It's supposed to be 1.7, my Play Store on my Nexus 7 2013 sill shows 1.5.5.
    Mine says 1.5.5

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

updated today and on 1.5.5

So this will allow playing movies using any movieplayer app and then casting it to my TV ?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

The rollout will happen over a few days as usual so just be patient a bit longer if you don't have it already. The newer nexus devices can cast right from the cast quick setting and don't need the chromecast app.

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    The rollout will happen over a few days as usual so just be patient a bit longer if you don't have it already. The newer nexus devices can cast right from the cast quick setting and don't need the chromecast app.
    Just to confirm the nexus 4 also can cast right from the cast quick setting and don't need the Chromecast app.

Does this work on OS 4.3?? I can't get it to work if it's suppose to on my note 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rht34 View Post
    Mine says 1.5.5

I downloaded 1.7 via the android police tweet article. They had a link to the apk

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    Does this work on OS 4.3?? I can't get it to work if it's suppose to on my note 3

No, it requires at minimum 4.4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    I downloaded 1.7 via the android police tweet article. They had a link to the apk

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Got the update today on my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 2013 (the latter running Android L). The screen mirroring is still a bit buggy at the moment. Streaming video lags terribly, but I'm not surprised. On my Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4, when I do a two-finger slide down on the notification bar to load quick settings, the settings pane flashes and then loads the tile for Cast Screen. Very annoying. The bigger issue seems to be on the Nexus 7 running Android L: when connected to the Chromecast in mirroring mode, when the screen goes to sleep on the Nexus 7, and you wake it up, the tablet keeps cycling between landscape and portrait mode and you can't stop it until you cast something else to the Chromecast from another device. Also, for whatever reason this behavior seems to reset the wallpaper back the the default Android L wallpaper image.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

chromecast dongle needs to be unobstructed for best streaming performance.

I've been trying to mirror the screen from my N7 for the last hour. If I try to mirror from quick settings, I get a "Connection to Chromecast has failed" message. If I try from the chromecast app, it instantly disconnects.

Screen mirroring is the only reason I wanted this, why they just didn't go with mirroring from the start is beyond me. Why make each app try to be compatible when screen mirroring would take care of all of them? Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me. I have a 2013 N7, I've tried rebooting the N7, chromecast, and even my router and still nothing.

So what gives? Am I missing something here? For some reason I cannot use the Cast Screen feature even though I apparently have all the components necessary for it to work. The stupid part is I could mirror my screen (much easier I might add) with my GS3 using DLNA. So far my Chromecast is $35 I could've spent on something better. It just seems ridiculous that something like screen mirroring is so hard to accomplish.

Screen mirroring is a nice feature for sure. But the real beauty of Chromecast is it doesnt tie up your device while watching a video on the t v. When watvhing Netflix, Youtube, etc. The stream goes directly from your router to your Chromecast. Bypassing your tablet all together. This allows you to do other things with the tablet while watching your movie. When mirroring both the tv and tablet are tied up on the same image.

I dont need to worry about mirroring however because I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 that is still stuck on 4.1.2 and my Dell venue 8 running 4.4.2 does not seem to have the mirroring feature yet.

Sent from my GT-N8013

The only problem is, I'm not going to be doing something else while using mirroring. I guess I don't see the point of having something running on the screen while my attention is focused on something on my device.

Well thats fine but that is really the point of Chromecast. It works best just streaming directly from the internet. Not having to be received by your tablet then broadcast back out to the Chromecast. That has got to slow it down. Personally I browse on my tablet allthe time while watching tv.

Sent from my GT-N8013
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast