Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Default No more WIFI?

So no more WIFI but instead chromecast will b using ultrasonic noice. Do we need a new chromecast or will it be software. Going to make so much more travelers happy. Do we have a eta? http://bgr.com/2014/06/27/chromecast...fi-connection/

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    9,082 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: No more WIFI?

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    So no more WIFI but instead chromecast will b using ultrasonic noice. Do we need a new chromecast or will it be software. Going to make so much more travelers happy. Do we have a eta? http://Chromecast connects to any de...fi-connection/

I don't think there has been an eta provided. But I do agree, it's going to make a lot of people happy.

The ultrasonic sound will be used to identify devices near the chrome cast but not on the same wifi network. It's basically designed so you don't have to give out your wifi password to everyone who wants to use your chromecast, the chromecast is still streaming over wifi.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Reading the article it sounds is doing away with wifi.
    Forget Wi-Fi for your*Chromecastconnectivity needs, as*Google*has found a more interesting way to pair the dongle with nearby devices for streaming purposes,*GigaOm*reports. The Chromecast team has figured out how to use inaudible ultrasonic sounds to pair the entertainment device with supported smartphones and tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    The ultrasonic sound will be used to identify devices near the chrome cast but not on the same wifi network. It's basically designed so you don't have to give out your wifi password to everyone who wants to use your chromecast, the chromecast is still streaming over wifi.

Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Reading the article it sounds is doing away with wifi.
    Forget Wi-Fi for your*Chromecastconnectivity needs, as*Google*has found a more interesting way to pair the dongle with nearby devices for streaming purposes,*GigaOm*reports. The Chromecast team has figured out how to use inaudible ultrasonic sounds to pair the entertainment device with supported smartphones and tablets.

So what's stopping my neighbors from connecting to my chromecast then?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

The way I'm reading it is it omits a sound through your TV speaker. When your device picks it up a code appears on the TV that you type in to connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    So what's stopping my neighbors from connecting to my chromecast then?

The way I'm reading it is it omits a sound through your TV speaker. When your device picks it up a code appears on the TV that you type in to connect.

Exactly, the tone emitted is inaudible to humans but is still able to be "heard" by an android phone. The tone emitted is not going to travel far thus requiring your device to be in close proximity with the chromecast, this will prevent your neighbours from having access to your chromecast.

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    Exactly, the tone emitted is inaudible to humans but is still able to be "heard" by an android phone. The tone emitted is not going to travel far thus requiring your device to be in close proximity with the chromecast, this will prevent your neighbours from having access to your chromecast.

Is this similar to that dog whistler ringtone I used to have when I was growing up?

You know how the frequency is way up there so "young" people can hear it but "old" people can't. Is it one of those things? Because different frequencies sound different on different speakers.

Imagine the complaints you'll hear from dog owners....

I mean, I just imagine too much real life errors that prevent this from happening flawlessly.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Yep similar concept
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigballer View Post
    Is this similar to that dog whistler ringtone I used to have when I was growing up?

You know how the frequency is way up there so "young" people can hear it but "old" people can't. Is it one of those things? Because different frequencies sound different on different speakers.

Imagine the complaints you'll hear from dog owners....