Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does device or app have a Netflix like interface for network media?

Can someone tell me if Chromecast supports or has a app that will connect to my NAS device with ally movies and have some sort of UI similar to Netflix/XBMC(DVD covers listing)? I am looking to replace my computer that is connected to my tv and i currently use XBMC for the interface. I'd like to try and have something similar to that if possible without having the need to have a computer turned on and running some sort of media server. I'd like to figure this out prior to purchasing the Chromecast device. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Does device or app have a Netflix like interface for network media?

Without a computer none of that is possible presently. Chrome on a Desktop computer has some plug-ins that can do this without running a media server. I use Videostream for Google Chromecast extension.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pnocolokfelagl

Look into Plex. They have a NAS version. I use Plex on my Windows Home Server and stream to Roku, Samsung Blu-ray players, XBOX 360 and Android devices... it works very well and has a nice interface.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyem View Post
    Look into Plex. They have a NAS version. I use Plex on my Windows Home Server and stream to Roku, Samsung Blu-ray players, XBOX 360 and Android devices... it works very well and has a nice interface.

Plex doesn't work with Chromecast.
    Last edited by zedorda; 06-29-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Here is a good guide to using Plex with Chromecast:

http://allaboutchromecast.com/how-to...-from-your-pc/

Thanked by:

Here is a good guide to using Plex with Chromecast:

How to use Plex media server to stream local media to Chromecast (from your PC) - All About Chromecast

Still requires a PC.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I have a trednet 200 NAS. Is has a dlna media server. Does this make it any easier to integrate with the chromecast hardware?
    Last edited by Dragonsbb16; 06-28-2014 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Typo
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

NASCast ? That sounds like it might work. There were a few others based on my search.

This process would be harder if I didn't have the NAS, but I do.

NAS is a storage solution not something able to run processes. Without a server on the network there is nothing to process the call something the NAS can't do alone. Maybe there are APIs in the new Android L but ATM Android can't do it.

NAScast maybe able to if it plays server to the NAS so it could be worth giving a try but it has mostly negative reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    NAS is a storage solution not something able to run processes. Without a server on the network there is nothing to process the call something the NAS can't do alone. Maybe there are APIs in the new Android L but ATM Android can't do it.

NAScast maybe able to if it plays server to the NAS so it could be worth giving a try but it has mostly negative reviews.
    Actually, several NAS boxes run a version of Linux... that is why Plex has a NAS version. It runs as a DLNA/Web server on the NAS OS...

Actually, several NAS boxes run a version of Linux... that is why Plex has a NAS version. It runs as a DLNA/Web server on the NAS OS...

Unit the OP saying they have that type of NAS I can't just assume they do. Also those types of NAS are more expansive with expressed functionality in this area.