no video only audio

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am trying an app called DroidTV, it downloads tv shows in .mp4 format, I get audio but no video.
I tried a demo of Allcast, I have Solid Explorer and was using Solid Explorer Cast, Bubble UPnP, and another app, all the same. Rebooted my Chromecast, same issue. Google Play Movies works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
If the video is not using a supported codec you either have to convert it or use a method that does transcoding, such as Plex or Real Player Cloud.

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I emailed the dev during my 2 week trial, as comments in the Play Store say he was able to fix it.
It is a hungry app BTW, and I had to freeze it during the day, I set to download only over wifi, but it still runs and drains the battery and slows up my Nexus 5 like crazy. This app also goes through a Roku, I have a Roku 3 and I was able to run the videos through my Roku without an issue. Because it is so battery hungry I might not subscribe, nice concept though.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I just was looking at the app in the Amazon App store
  • Watch TV on your Android phone or tablet in full HD-480p resolution with DroidTV

it has been a looooooooooong time since i have seen anyone refer to 480p as HD

drhere

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The TNT shows I watched were higher than 480p, so the Amazon App Store probably has a old version, the new version was updated on July 1st.
The FX shows were 480p, and one show (Louie) I tried to watch kept stopping and rebooting my Roku. My Roku never freezes, and this would freeze the Roku in it's tracks, I was about to unplug it and plug it back in, but the Roku rebooted itself.

sashaglo

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I use LocalCast (free) to watch DroidTV shows. All current shows play perfectly. I use RealPlayer only when I record a show from last season. Most older shows need to be uploaded to RP to enable video as well as sound.