How to watch a movie using receiver connected to tv.

gmazza

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey there, I have a question about the Chromecast.

How do I get it to work through my receiver?
I want to be able to watch a movie using my stereo speakers hooked up to my receiver.
Currently, one HDMI cord goes from my tv to my receiver that allows me to watch tv through my stereo speakers, I am just unsure how to get that same thing working with the CC.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey there, I have a question about the Chromecast.

How do I get it to work through my receiver?
I want to be able to watch a movie using my stereo speakers hooked up to my receiver.
Currently, one HDMI cord goes from my tv to my receiver that allows me to watch tv through my stereo speakers, I am just unsure how to get that same thing working with the CC.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

it really depends on the receiver and TV. My receiver can take the audio off the HDMI input OR off a digital input so when I had my CC plugged directly into my TV [ I now use an HDMI switch because too many devices] I had the audio run out of my TV via digital optical to the Receiver.

Check your TV and Receiver manuals to see what your Audio output and input options are.

a250gpreguy

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe you need an A/V receiver which supports HDMI switching...

ie: 1 HDMI cable TO tv from receiver, all inputs go to receiver and get sent to TV via 1 common output.

Supposedly HDMI 1.4a is bidirectional. ..that is not the case with my LG smart tv and Onkyo receiver so I stream from my phone/cpu via Chromecast, Miracast, wifi or bluetooth.

I just plugged my dongles (Chromecast, wifi, bluetooth, miracast) into empty HDMI/USB input port on my receiver, select that input and viola! Streaming to TV with A/V speaker sound...I am using an Onkyo TRX series...

Good luck

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Knowing what receiver, TV you have, and exactly what cables are where may help. Newer receivers support ARC (Audio Return Channel) over HDMI. There are allot of parts to this picture that are missing that make advice difficult to give.

As others have said, most likely it is just a matter of plugging the CC into a input port on the reciever, then changing to the right source on the receiver. That assumes you have a AVR.

Posted via Android Central App

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I have an old receiver. I achieve what you're looking to do by plugging the Chromecast into the TV's HDMI, then use an Optical Audio cable from the TV's Optical Audio out to the Optical Audio in on the receiver, which then plays the TV sound when set to CD. Basically you need a TV with audio out and plug it into the receiver.

Or HDMI switching lol

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
May also want to think about what kind of audio you expect from this. Most likely if you go to a TV first you are limited to stereo in most cases. That even applies to using optical out. Most TV's won't be able to decode the newer audio streams and if they do they will need to down mix it to DD5.1 for the optical link.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power