Chromecast - video, but no sound through Sony AV receiver?

anon(9043630)

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello - my first post on this forum - I am hoping someone can help!

I purchased a Chromecast today, and I plugged it into the available HDMI port on my TV - I got video, but no sound through my Sony AV Receiver - only through the TV speakers.

I then plugged it into the Video2/BD port of my Sony AV Receiver, switched the import to Video 2/BD, but got the same again - video, but no sound. So I plugged the Chromecast back into the back of my TV.

I have noticed on the back of my TV next to the HDMI port that there are two audio sockets - red and white - do I need to purchase an audio cable and plug each cable (red and white) into the back of my TV, and then into the red and white sockets into the back of my AV receiver, and then switch the input to 'TV' to receive sound, or is there another solution?

Please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My Chromecast works fine when plugged into an available HDMI input of my Denon receiver. I get video that gets output to the TV, and audio that plays over the speakers connected to the receiver. Which model Sony receiver do you have? After doing the obvious things like making sure the AV receiver isn't set to Mute, I'd pore through the manual to see if there are any options to select different banks of speakers, or options for audio pass-through (i.e., muting the receiver in favor of the TV). AV receivers can be needlessly complicated (my Denon is extremely unintuitive), so look through the manual carefully.

anon(9043630)

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I ended up sorting it in the end by purchasing a phono to phono cable and plugging one end into the tv, the other end into the phono sockets on the av receiver - don't know why it doesn't work plugged directly into the av receiver though?

Chris Colaco

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Folks I have a similar only worse problem. I have a Pioneer VSX 521 AV receiver with 4 HDMI inputs and one output for the TV.
When I read in the forums of success in connecting to an AV receiver I decided to buy Chromecast with precisely this in mind. First set it up using my TV ie connecting it to the TV HDMI input. Once I had got past that I connected to my AV Receiver which unfortunately is buried inside a wooden cabinet. So this affected the WiFi reaching CC and I had to re-position my WiFi router to solve this.The bigger problem is that the receiver often refuses to connect with CC. There is a red panel light which indicates the connection is through. I have noticed that switching on CC first and waiting till the white light comes on before switching on the AV helps. Sometimes I seem to have a connection but find much to my disappointment that audio is absent like in Simon's case. I have also found switching to the lowest bitrate of 480 p increases probability of success. Have run out of ideas so help is much appreciated.

trusselo

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Try turning on the receiver before starting the cast activity.
If the Chromecast turns on my receiver, i have no sound.
If I turn on the receiver, then start a cast, it works fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781