Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Does Netflix on Chromecast support Super HD?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this on Netflix's website. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Best Answer

The CC maxes at 1080p so full HD, super HD whatever you want to call it is good to go.
    What it won't do is ultra HD or 4k. If you think 1080p looks great wait till you see that.

Default Re: Does Netflix on Chromecast support Super HD?

I was curious myself but never found an answer.

In fact, I even had an occasion to ask a Netflix engineer who I happened to sit next too on an airplane and he wasn't sure.

Dan

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dan1431 View Post
    I was curious myself but never found an answer.

In fact, I even had an occasion to ask a Netflix engineer who I happened to sit next too on an airplane and he wasn't sure.

Dan

Yeah, I hear ya. I chatted online with a Netflix customer service rep today about this. She told me that, no, the Chromecast did not Super HD because it did not support Ultra HD. I then told her that I thought those were two different things. She said she understood that but reiterated her answer.

So, I'm officially more confused now!

Quote Originally Posted by jerethi View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya. I chatted online with a Netflix customer service rep today about this. She told me that, no, the Chromecast did not Super HD because it did not support Ultra HD. I then told her that I thought those were two different things. She said she understood that but reiterated her answer.

So, I'm officially more confused now!

In my experience front line customer service (like the person you chatted with) is best suited for simple stuff (even then they sometimes don't seem up to the challenge sadly) and rarely is able to answer more advanced questions.

My Roku2 which I have at my vacation home is able to stream Netflix in "SuperHD" (aka 1080P), so, I would assume as the Chromecast is newer it too would have the capability to steam in "SuperHD".

However, that is an assumption on my part and NOT concrete fact.

Dan

I can't answer definitively but I'd be shocked if it doesn't. I have Xbox 360, ps3, and a high end Samsung smart TV and Netflix on Chromecast looks noticeably better than it does on any of those.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

The CC maxes at 1080p so full HD, super HD whatever you want to call it is good to go.
    What it won't do is ultra HD or 4k. If you think 1080p looks great wait till you see that.

Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock

What I find a little confusing is that 1080p and Super HD 1080p seem to be different levels - at least, that's how it appears on my Samsung television. I can see the quality level of the stream, and just before hitting Super HD 1080p, it will display 1080p. So, while I'm quite sure the chromecast supports 1080p, I'm not sure that means it necessarily supports Super HD.

But who knows!

Posted via a mobile device, of course

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post

Doubt 4K would make much of a difference on my eyeballs. Most people can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Difference? sure? big difference? hardly. More hype than anything. Remember 3D tvs?

Quote Originally Posted by jerethi View Post
    What I find a little confusing is that 1080p and Super HD 1080p seem to be different levels - at least, that's how it appears on my Samsung television. I can see the quality level of the stream, and just before hitting Super HD 1080p, it will display 1080p. So, while I'm quite sure the chromecast supports 1080p, I'm not sure that means it necessarily supports Super HD.

But who knows!

Posted via a mobile device, of course
    considering netflix is moving towards html5 and h.265 i'm curious if CC is able to decode both of those formats. h.265 might be a bit more processor demanding than what the CC can handle