Chromecast is slow to connect to TV with lollipop

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I use my nexus 7 tablet to cast videos to my television. I remember when I first got my chromecast I was surprised at how quick it was to connect and play video. Now it seems to take much much longer to connect and when I skip ahead in a video it takes a while for it to buffer. I realize there are a lot variables, but I distinctly remember after the lollipop update that is was considerably slower.

Has anyone else noticed this? I never had this problem when I first got my chromecast. Anyone know of a way to fix this issue? Could it possibly be my internet?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I use a Nexus 5, a Nexus 6 and a 2013 Nexus 7 to connect to a Chromecast. All of them have been updated OTA to 5.1.1 non-rooted. We just use them, a lot. No problems, they all just work.

They all connect to the Chromecast pretty quickly. Is your Nexus 7 kinda slow in general or is it mostly just a problem with casting your screen?

Slow WiFi certainly could have something to do with it. The buffering indicates slow WiFi. Do you know approximately what speeds you usually see?

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
my nexus 7 isnt too slow, but its definitely worse when i use it to cast. Even as its playing the "loading dots" will still be displayed.

I'm not sure what wifi speeds I usually have, I dont really know about that kind of thing. How can I check and how do I know what it should be?

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
When I log into my cox communication account (thats my service provider) it says my internet package is up to 15 Mbps download and up to 2 Mbps upload. Is that the speed? I haven't ever changed my internet service or connection speed, but I could have swore it was faster with chromecast in the past.

Is there anyway to test the speed without downloading an app? I don't know why but I try to avoid downloading any apps unless I really plan on using them alot, maybe I'm just superstitious but I don't want to "clutter" my tablet.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Not really any way to test speed on a mobile device without an app. All the speed test websites I'm aware of require Flash, which is not available on mobile devices anymore.

That's pretty slow internet service. No surprise you have buffering going on.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
15Mbs is way good enough so long as it's consistent and you're not after 4k material. Maybe the slowness is from the server you're streaming from? I've noticed there's more buffering with 720 or 1080 than with SD.

Posted via the Android Central App

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean it could be the server I'm streaming from? Also is it possible that my Nexus has slowed down from something running in the background, or some other thing on my device itself?

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The usual way to use a Chromecast is streaming video from the internet. If that's what you're doing then the speed of your Nexus doesn't really matter as it only acting as a remote control that tells the Chromecast the address of the server to stream from.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000