Help Needed: How to get audio from Chromecast to my Home Theater receiver?

UncleLes

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have gotten my Chromecast set up and running by plugging into one of the 2 HDMI ports on my TV. However, I can only gt the audio portion to play thru the TV speakers and I want to route it thru my HT receiver. My problem is: the receiver is older and has no HDMI or digital inputs, only analog (RCA) inputs. There are no analog outputs in my TV, only optical digital out and something marked "Audio Out" that looks like it is about the size of a mini headphone jack.

My questions:

1) Can I plug a Y splitter mini headphone jack to RCA plugs cable into that Audio Out output on the TV and run it to an audio input on the receiver, or will I need to use the optical digital out and get an analog converter to use the RCA inputs?

2) Either way, will I get only stereo sound or will the receiver get what it needs to decode into Dolby Surround (don't ask me the version, it's 3 front speakers each with it's own channel and 2 rear speakers on the same channel.....it may just be called Dolby Surround)? FWIW, the audio for all the other devices I have are routed thru the receiver - DVD player (composite video and analog audio), cable box (HDMI from TV to cable box and RCA from cable box to receiver) and work just fine, I get Surround Sound when the receiver is set for it.

3) I currently have the TV set to use the external speaker only, will i need to reset to internal speaker to get anything out of the rear audio outputs?

If I'm completely off base here, would someone please offer me suggestions?

Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
1)If your TV has 3.5mm (or smaller) Audio Out jack, you can purchase a Headphone Jack to RCA converter and use that to connect the audio from your TV to your Home Theater. Just bear in mind that some TVs don't have this output always active (I think most TV's don't, actually) and you might need to select that audio output in your TV's menu; most TV's I've seen only let you output audio either through their speakers or the audio out port, not both.

2) Most likely, Stereo, but that depends on your TV's output format.

3) See #1