wifi issues with the 2015 chromecast

alanhrh

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought the new chromecast from best buy installed it and everything worked last night but today when my kid tried to cast a youtube video it keep saying on his tablet that there was an error and the chromecast said that its was disconnected i tried to reconect it with my phone and my phone lost the wifi signal too so i reboot the modem and router tried everything again, worked once and then again the same problem, i tried to use my laptop and perform an speedtest and it showed that i only had 9 megs down which surprised me because i have the 300 service from time warner so i disconnected the chromecast and reset my phone, the tablet and the computer and the speed came back has anybody experience this?

Posted via the Android Central App

alanhrh

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes i was the weird thing is that all of my devices even the ones not controlling the chromecast were either slow or disconnected from the router

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes i was the weird thing is that all of my devices even the ones not controlling the chromecast were either slow or disconnected from the router

Could be an ISP problem?

Posted from my Nexus 6/Nexus 7 2013/Surface Pro 3

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
This new Chromecast is different than the previous but I'm still trying to figure out where.

I have a WNDR4300 and I still can't get the Chromecast 2 connected after much troubleshooting (reboot both router and Chromecast, open ssid, disable any other networks broadcasted, disable DNS, PnP) but still no go to a router than 3 gen1 Chromecast work fine on.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
This new Chromecast is different than the previous but I'm still trying to figure out where.

I have a WNDR4300 and I still can't get the Chromecast 2 connected after much troubleshooting (reboot both router and Chromecast, open ssid, disable any other networks broadcasted, disable DNS, PnP) but still no go to a router than 3 gen1 Chromecast work fine on.

Sounds like you've tried an exhaustive set of steps and troubleshooting. A few thoughts/suggestions that you may have already tried. I just got one a few weeks ago, and so far its good. I did remove the gen1 from the network as I'm not sure yet where I want to redeploy so its off for now. Hope you get it figured out :)

Maybe a factory reset on the Chromecast will work? Is there some setting or configuration that is working on the gen1 Chromecast that is needed for the gen2? Is MAC filtering enabled on your router? With the other gen1 Chromecast turned off/disconnected from the WiFi, will the gen2 setup work? Maybe the initial Chromecast setup is getting confused or has "interference" from the gen1 devices that are on the network?

Chromecast Deployment Guide, Release 7.6 - Cisco is for gen1 Chromecast, but has some good details that could be abstracted (like ensure that peer to peer blocking is disabled) that may apply to gen2.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/troubleshooter/2995236?hl=en has some troubleshooting options.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I figured it out ...

The new Chromecast doesn't like SSIDs with a hyphen in the name regardless of whether it's active or the one you're connecting to.

Netgear has a default guest network setup for each SSID you create regardless of the band (2.4 or 5) named <YOUR_SSID>-Guest. I didn't have it active, but it was still named on my wireless router.

I deleted the guest network completely, and my Chromecast connected.

I added it back, and it didn't.

I then just called it "Guest" and it connected.

I then called it "This-Sucks" and it didn't connect.

So FYI ... Remove any SSIDs on your wireless router with special characters especially HYPHENS.

I didn't test to determine which characters, or if this is an issue with Netgear or Chromecast, but just FYI if anyone finds this especially if they have a Netgear.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae