FYI: ES File Explorer Chromecast

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if anyone is aware of this, but the ES File Explorer App has its own built in Cromecast support. And an extra coolness factor, it knows to switch to the correct input the chromecast is plugged into .

This means you can send any file, video, picture, etc, to tv via chromecast, without using screencast, that ties up your whole device

Pick a file in ES, and you choose the ES Chromecast player, then it offers what chromecasts are available, pick, and boom! input switched, file plays. Just thought I'd share :-D

eschromecast.jpg

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. So ES works the same as Allcast?

It's the hdmi-cec function built into the tv that does the input switching BTW, assuming it's enabled in settings on the tv.
A Chromecast update a while ago also allows the play/pause on the tv remote control to work on the Chromecast too, using the same system. It doesn't work with all apps but many, and is really handy.

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh cool, learned something new, hdmi-cec. I thought it was just an ES feature, but I see it now works with some other chromecast apps. Thanks! :)

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmm ok I can get Chromecast to switch to input, but it does not switch back. No biggie.

I cant find any apps that let me use tv remote for pause or play.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
The switching function will switch to any newly active input but I don't think there is any fall back to previous input. If I've been using CC and want TV, I quickly toggle power on the TV box which switches the TV's input to it.

Also if TV is off and you start stream to CC or switch on another connected device, that should turn on TV and switch to the active input.

I don't know why your pause isn't working. I can pause/play YouTube, Beyondpod, iplayer and other apps using the TV remote on two tvs and two CCs.

It doesn't work for the TV box remote though. You are using the actual TV remote? I never really used the remote that came with the tv until I realised it could pause Chromecast.

If it won't work you could try resetting the system by unplugging the TV power, wait a few secs and plug back in again.

Last edited:

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm no, I using the cable tv provider remote. I'd have to find the original tv remote to try, and I never use that so no big deal I guess.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz