Screen mirroring to computer monitor lags

PeterY125

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I am seeing a weird problem when trying to mirror my Nexus 6P screen to a computer monitor with an HDMI input with a Chromecast V2. The view on the computer monitor lags updates from the phone. Sometime it misses screen updates completely. I have tried with two Chromecasts with the same monitor and had the same problem each time. When I try to mirror the Nexus 6P screen to my TV, it works fine with no lag. I can also cast a video to the computer monitor with YouTube with no problem. As anyone seen a problem like this? Could it be a problem with the specific monitor? That seems strange since the video casting from YouTube works. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Peter

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have found that screen casting usually tends to be a little slow or laggy. Integrated Chromecast support within specific apps works much better. Not sure why it seems to work find on your TV, though. Is your Chromecast using the same wi-fi connection for both TV and monitor?

PeterY125

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I was using the same wi-fi networking when screen casting to both the monitor and the TV. In fact when screen casting to the monitor, the Chromecast and phone were within a few feet of the wi-fi router. I don't understand the difference between the TV and monitor. Seems very strange...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might be interesting to see what kind of wi-fi traffic you have nearby--if your router is using a congested channel, maybe that's contributing. Use an app like Wi-fi Analyzer to see.

PeterY125

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I did look with Wi-fi Analyzer and the channels my router was picking where somewhat congested. I change channels and the lag went away. I never would have guessed this was a wi-fi problem because the monitor is right by the router and the TV which is upstairs did not have the problem. Thanks again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Excellent! I think most routers are supposed to have an option to automatically choose the best channel, but in my experience, they don't do a very good job of it. So it can be helpful sometimes to look at the traffic yourself and choose one manually, as you've done. Be aware, though, that the traffic around you can change, so if you notice the lag again, you may have to change channels again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon