Using chromecast for audio only?

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I currently have a bluetooth adapter hooked up to my HDMI receiver via the AUX input to play music on my home theater, but I don't like this method because the range is small, has wifi interference and skips, sounds low quality, and I have to get up and push a button on the bluetooth adapter every time I want to use it. A friend of mine has a Chromecast stick and I was using the Chromecast app on my S7 to try to play some songs. The only way I could get it to do this was to cast my phone screen AND audio. I'm thinking about getting my own chromecast, but is there a way to just play audio ONLY without casting my screen? Like if I'm hosting a party and playing music over my phone through Chromecast, I don't want everyone seeing what I'm looking at on my phone. I suppose I could just turn the TV off...is there any other app that will just display the music or media player while casting? What kind of quality audio will I get through casting? Will it play at the source bitrate? Thanks

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Because I still want to be able to use the chromecast for Netflix and other things, not only audio 100% of the time

But if you replace the Bluetooth adapter with a Chromecast Audio, it has no effect on the regular Chromecast.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a bluetooth adapter hooked up to my HDMI receiver via the AUX input to play music on my home theater, but I don't like this method because the range is small, has wifi interference and skips, sounds low quality, and I have to get up and push a button on the bluetooth adapter every time I want to use it. A friend of mine has a Chromecast stick and I was using the Chromecast app on my S7 to try to play some songs. The only way I could get it to do this was to cast my phone screen AND audio. I'm thinking about getting my own chromecast, but is there a way to just play audio ONLY without casting my screen? Like if I'm hosting a party and playing music over my phone through Chromecast, I don't want everyone seeing what I'm looking at on my phone. I suppose I could just turn the TV off...is there any other app that will just display the music or media player while casting? What kind of quality audio will I get through casting? Will it play at the source bitrate? Thanks

..also what app are you using the play the music when you're casting?

If using something like Google Play Music with a regular (non-audio-only) Chromecast, you're not casting your screen. The TV should only display the song information.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
But if you replace the Bluetooth adapter with a Chromecast Audio, it has no effect on the regular Chromecast.

I currently don't have a chromecast at all. I was thinking of getting one and having it be a dual purpose of replacing my bluetooth adapter and being able to use it for things like netflix. I currently have to use my bluray player from 2010 and its garbage Netflix app and I'd like to upgrade to something better anyway.

And I use the samsung music player. Unfortunately the Google music player doesnt display a number of albums I have on my SD card that the Samsung player WILL display. It's a glitch I havent been able to figure out...

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I guess it's not possible. I even tried the google music player and all the songs on the SD card wouldn't cast, it only let me cast streaming songs and radio stations on Google Music

JimDijkstra86NL

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi there (folks) Dan The Man 86

(Anyone liking this or finding it useful, feel free to +1 the hart/like button, much appreciated )
Take a look into Bubble UPNP.
It's an all round streaming utility....
Wouldn't call it an app since the possibilities and options are virtually NONE especially for devs.
If you are the one that don't mind to utilize everything you already do from 1 app...and then some.*

(Sparked interest?, keep reading...lots more below...haven't found your solution yet?....it might just be in here ;-)

*This is what to look for.
Down side..... For less and less but still for a féw options it requires root on the or a (daisy chained) device depending on usage scenario.
Keep in mind that WITH any rooted device it has NO limitations and since it can be used as sending and receiving device you could even use daisy chaining to use it true a rooted device.
Coming to the point....if you have 1 device rooted of any kind with android...
As long as the rooted device allows playing ANY content with its specs. ..not any other device has ANY limitations as far as I am aware of.
Not even mentioning you can use ANY streaming capable server (I am print sure even plex with or without plex download able app)
With other words....use Bubble UPNP and if needed Plex server and or broadcasting device and limitations are virtually none existent.

Before diving into paying for them....make sure you research then setup and test everything you wanna use it for before purchase.
This so it will fit your user profile before spending on something that later on will not to barely be used.
(Plex was inspired and (partially) based on Bubble UPNP initially, only difference with plex WAS the pairing and locating of devices...even across the internet;-)

So....stream away and enjoy.
Btw; I recall that any rooted device can play any source on almost any on device app and allow Bubble UPnP to serve as casting maybe even miracast device to allow the No Limit threshold to be enabled and with that play from anything to/on anything.
I advice to look into using Plex (server) in combo with Bubble UPnP since there are tons of scenarios that provide benefits.
There is also a Bubble UPNP server app....I recommend using Plex Server functionality for that since it is an easy setup and can't imagine it is performance optimized as well as plex.
(Barely to almost none used it her server functionaly but researched and followed progress on both for over decade...even before name change/take-over of projects)

Good luck and enjoy researching and streaming of any media.

So the conclusion; if your user profile and usage scenarios + device's setups and OS versions rooted and none-rooted devices allow you to do all you want.
DO purchase the chrome cast (HDMI Vedsion) and Apps ((purchase and/or (lifetime) service or subscription(s))

With other words....it all in the end depends on You as user, user scenario's and the devices you own..and if you have a device rooted for a usage scenario fitting you requiring root.

As long as you use search of tags/words on each page in multitude...you should be able to figure it áll out in 1 study week or so. (Assuming you dedicate your time to it)
After that it can last you multiple decades since it is all continuesly being updated and upgraded for future use (over time)....thus a future proof overall setup if planned correctly.

Hoping I covered it all for anyone wishing to stream, Enjoy. ;-)

Greets Jimmy ;-D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan