I just returned the GN Vehicle Dock - Fail!

ItsDrew

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I was really excited to see Google selling these accessories so I purchased 2 desktop and 1 vehicle dock. The desktop docks rock! The Vehicle Dock, however, was the worst dock experience I have ever had.
It takes tremendous force using both hands to push the phone into the dock and twice the amount of force to get it out. Twice, my phone popped out so hard that it flew into my back seat.
The Audio worked when I put it in the dock for the first time, but then never worked again after that.
I sent it back to Google and didn't have to pay re-stock fee because the Audio was broken. Now I simply use a Desktop dock in my truck and it works perfectly.
IMG_0288.jpg

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I never understand people buying these device specific docks. I don't keep my phone long enough to justify the cost, and on top of that, they can't be used with any case. The generic ones are way cheaper and will work for just about any phone, cased or not.

AllisonR

May 30, 2011
Visit site
What is the name of the ?ber-dock? It looks like it would work really well for me too! Thanks for sharing a great find!

Last edited:

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
that's great, but i use mine in portrait mode in my car and i havent found a generic dock that's big and strong enough to hold the GN without sagging or the suction or arm coming loose all the time. im also on VZW so i cant even use the pogo mount.

in one regard i love how sturdy the oem mount is and how there's NO CHANCE IN HELL my phone is falling out (unless the suction cup pops off), which happened on many occasions with a generic mount and my thunderbolt. on the other hand i hate taking the TPU case off every time i want to mount the phone and how much effort it takes to snap in and out.

i never understood why ppl use google navigation in landscape. when im driving i want to see whats ahead of me, not off to the sides as i zoom past at 100mph.

nice idea tho. did you just double-sided tape it down? how strongly does the mount hold the phone in? does it fall out at all? trucks arent known for the smoothest rides...when you're bouncing around it stays put?

ItsDrew

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised to find this on the front page. I feel the need to answer all the questions:
1) I live in AZ and it was 122 inside my vehicle yesterday (I park in the shade) after work and the heat didn't bother my phone while watching a video podcast. Actually, this dock doesn't cover as much of the phone surface as the suction dock so wouldn't the desktop dock be better?

2) I got the dock from the Google Play store under Devices

3) The dock is heavy enough to sit tight. If I find it sliding around I can easily put some double-sided sticky tape on the bottom to hold it down. Also, I used a heat-shrinking tube on the cables in the back and this makes them rigid and this also helps keep the dock in place. As for the phone flying out...the dock has side grooves that hold it in. Plus, I've already tossed my phone in the back seat twice with the Vehicle Dock. This is less risky.

4) Why do I buy the custom docks instead of a generic dock. A few reasons: I have the money, so why not. Also, I used a generic dock until the GN dock was released and every time I mounted my phone, I had to plug in power and Audio. This actually ruined my GN phone jack and the phone was not warrantied because I purchased the Canadian version of the phone. So, I had to buy another phone and the pogo plugs work great.

ItsDrew

May 5, 2010
Visit site
How are you powering this? Isn't it powered with an ac adapter?

I pulled out my radio and spliced into the Cig Lighter and installed another port from Radio Shack. I then spliced and soldered a female audio port into the the AUX jack. I have both the power and audio cables fed through a small hole behind the dock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maryjay