5 years with iOS, 3 days with GNex, what I like

daytondroid

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I have to admit first, I am an Apple fanboy of sorts. I have been using iPhones since August 2007; the 2G, 3G, 4 & 4S. I bought a Galaxy Nexus before the ban and got in on 7/5, put my iPhone 4S sim card in it and have been using it since.

I plan to write a longer write up in a few days, but there is one thing I discovered that has forced me to write a post.

I listen to a good bit of music and podcasts on my iPhone or iPodTouch and I have ALWAYS HATED the placement of the << and >> (Rew & FF) button in relationship to the Play button. This is especially a pain in the butt on the audio control on the lock screen. They are so close to the play button, that when I press the play/pause button while listening, I occasionally hit the Rew or FF buttons. When listening to a podcast, this is a HUGE PAIN!!! Not to mention there is plenty of space to move the button further away from the Play/Pause button.

So, today I loaded a few albums of music on my Galaxy Nexus, I noticed the Rew and FF buttons on the lock screen are at least twice the distance away from the play/pause button.

iOS seriously needs to take notice of this benefit!!!

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what's funny about Apple products. If there is something you don't like - tough luck! That's how it is and you can't change it (for the most part).

On Android, if you don't like something - usually there are plenty of other options to modify and suit things to your preference.

Reactions: 21plays

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That's what's funny about Apple products. If there is something you don't like - tough luck! That's how it is and you can't change it (for the most part).

On Android, if you don't like something - usually there are plenty of other options to modify and suit things to your preference.

This is only true for stock iOS users. For people like me who jailbreak our iOS devices there are plenty of ways to customize it to our liking. However, I'm tired of having to jailbreak just to get things that should be available right out of the box, so I just ordered the Google Nexus and plan on using that as my daily driver.

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't give Apple any ideas, or this is what will happen: They will space the buttons farther apart, claim total innovation on their part, and then move to have the Nexus banned again because they "stole" their idea.

Yeah, no need to give Apple any more reasons to slap another frivolous lawsuit on a Samsung device. There are more than enough of these going on now, and one of the reasons why I am now forced to sit and wait for my newly ordered Nexus to arrive.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
This is only true for stock iOS users. For people like me who jailbreak our iOS devices there are plenty of ways to customize it to our liking. However, I'm tired of having to jailbreak just to get things that should be available right out of the box, so I just ordered the Google Nexus and plan on using that as my daily driver.

You won't be dissatisfied. I to was on the iPhone train for along time. Then I went to my OG Evo and was off to the races. Was it perfect..No, was it workable H3ll YES! Oh and very Hackable to.:D

With the Gnex and Jelly Bean on it I have no reason to go back to IOS anytime soon. This thing just works and works well. That's the real reason Apple is so sue happy. They know they are in trouble and are trying to impede Google at every turn.

Enjoy your Gnex, this probably won't be your last Nexus after this.

Reactions: 21plays

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You won't be dissatisfied. I to was on the iPhone train for along time. Then I went to my OG Evo and was off to the races. Was it perfect..No, was it workable H3ll YES! Oh and very Hackable to.:D

With the Gnex and Jelly Bean on it I have no reason to go back to IOS anytime soon. This thing just works and works well. That's the real reason Apple is so sue happy. They know they are in trouble and are trying to impede Google at every turn.

Enjoy your Gnex, this probably won't be your last Nexus after this.

Hey, thanks. I agree with you here and posted on one of my iOS sites that Apple is only slapping these lawsuits on Android devices because they are afraid of what the competition has to offer. Too bad though, because their lawsuit didn't work against the GS3 and that is in direct competition with Apples iPhone 4S.... I'm glad I finally decided to get the Google Nexus and can't wait to start using it. Jellybean looks sweet compared to iOS 6.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, no need to give Apple any more reasons to slap another frivolous lawsuit on a Samsung device. There are more than enough of these going on now, and one of the reasons why I am now forced to sit and wait for my newly ordered Nexus to arrive.

Couldn't agree more...and believe me when I tell you, that it'll be worth the wait. This is a truly amazing device.

daytondroid

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that there are a few things that were bugging me about stock ICS, but I have discovered there were settings to change things to change them.

For example, the placement of the comma on the stock keyboard was pretty annoying, and was hidden by the voice keyboard icon. When typing a message, the auto-complete words cover the comma at the top as well. I fixed that by moving it to the symbols keyboard screen.

Also, I plan to use stock ICS and then stock JB, as I was never big on Jailbreaking iOS.

Overall, I am pretty impressed and for the most part happy with the change to the Galaxy Nexus. But, to be honest, Apple has not done much over 5 years to overhaul the look and feel of iOS.

Maddog088

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
That's the reason I dumped Apple last year. The OS just got stale to me. The same grid of apps got boring. I switched to an EVO 3D, and have now been on a Nexus for a month or two (dumped Sprint and switched to Verizon). Couldn't be happier.

Dudefella123

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Android has gotten very refined and Google finally realizes it needs to curate its own version of their OS. Hopefully they continue their line of pure android Nexus devices in tablets and phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Overall, I am pretty impressed and for the most part happy with the change to the Galaxy Nexus. But, to be honest, Apple has not done much over 5 years to overhaul the look and feel of iOS.

I've been with Apple for a few years now and it seems like they only give us just enough improvements to string us along. Case in point, the benefits between iOS 5 and iOS 6 really aren't that dramatic once you start comparing the two. Apple always plays it smart , though, by claiming that they are including 200 new features. Too bad it doesn't include the ability for the paying customer to customize it to their liking.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Android has gotten very refined and Google finally realizes it needs to curate its own version of their OS. Hopefully they continue their line of pure android Nexus devices in tablets and phones.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I think opening the Google play store is a good indication that Google plans on continuing their line of pure Android devices.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Haha. Only true for the "stock ios" users, which have to be 99% of ios users.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think opening the Google play store is a good indication that Google plans on continuing their line of pure Android devices.

There's rumors circulating of more nexus devices being released in November, can't wait to see them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Don't give Apple any ideas, or this is what will happen: They will space the buttons farther apart, claim total innovation on their part, and then move to have the Nexus banned again because they "stole" their idea.

+1

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Put 4.1 on your Nexus and be amazed. Such a smooth experience even coming from 4.0.4

Smooth compared to 4.0.4 isn't that monumental a task though, I'd been wondering why windows phone 7 and iOS are so fast feeling and android (even 4.0.4) feels like I'm constantly swimming through a sea of molasses while dragging a panicked dog toward shore.

It drives me mad when I will hit the home button (on 4.0.4) and every now and then none of the icons or widgets (I only have up weather/news) are there and take a countable number of seconds to reload. Compared to the effectively instant return to the start screen that windows phone 7.5 has on much more limited hardware I really thing that somewhere underneath it all some fundamentally wrong decisions were made.

Another thing that worries me about android is stability. I don't even trust it to keep and alarm, my thunderbolt and now my Verizon galaxy nexus have on occasion rebooted overnight and seemingly that kills the alarm when that happens. I haven't noticed it happening since the 4.0.4 update but the instability is so built up in my mind now that I don't know if I'd ever really trust it with stuff like alarms or important phone calls.

I'm sure about half of it is psychological at this point, and what I would like to see is not only a description of why 4.1 is improved, but also something saying that iOS and windows phone also have to do the same tricks to make the experience seem fluid, otherwise we are just trading battery life for speed.