Price drop?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have been invited twice to test Google Glass, and honestly would love to test any tech, especially Google product. However $1500 is steep. Will they price drop anytime soon? Would love to get my hands on them.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been invited twice to test Google Glass, and honestly would love to test any tech, especially Google product. However $1500 is steep. Will they price drop anytime soon? Would love to get my hands on them.

I agree. I also have been invited to test Google Glass, but as much as I love "new" tech, the price tag is a little to steep ...IMHO

izzy67

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
The price will definitely drop when google realizes that regular consumers don't want to pay so much money for a product like that. It's only the real techy and wealthy that'll own it.

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I think Google will do a $500 weekend, they realise people are loosing interest and need to sell them off, however the issue is there still not ready for prime time. Maybe 5.0 Lollipop will help.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

Jeff Kang

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
There might be a potential war soon if Microsoft launch their Hololens later this year.

Some good information from the Oculus Rift subreddit from /u/FredzL on Google's investment, Magic Leap (Google Glass 2?), in comparison:

> **Disclaimer** : pure speculation based on published patents and reviews.
>
> I think Magic Leap is :
>
> * 40°x40° FOV
> * 8 Mpx/4K (scanning fiber display with piezoelectric actuator)
> * 60 Hz
> * blocking light from the physical world (occlusion mask with LCD(s))
> * nearly correct accommodative depth cues (zone plate diffraction patterning device => 12 levels of depth from 0.5 m to 3 m)
> * low-persistence (720 Hz high-frequency binary display => 1.38 ms illumination per depth layer)
> * glasses form-factor (waveguide with embedded diffraction grating => end goal, not done yet)
> * release in 2016-2017
>
> I think Microsoft HoloLens is :
>
> * ~40°x22° FOV at most (from the reports : tiny FOV, rectangular)
> * 4 Mpx/2.5K (OLED) or 8 Mpx/4K (LCoS) but color sequential
> * 60 Hz
> * not blocking light from the physical world (additive blending)
> * no accommodative depth cues
> * full persistence
> * large and heavy glasses form-factor
> * release in 2015

reddit/com/r/oculus/comments/2t74sf/microsoft_announces_windows_holographic_ar/cnwsyny

---

> Yes it's a supposition, but the technology described looks quite close to what would be required to back the Magic Leap claims (3D CG elephant appearing to exist in the real world).
>
> Requirements would be :
>
> * suitable FOV for AR
> * suitable resolution for 20/20 visual acuity
> * accommodative response to provide absolute distance information and avoid the vergence-accommodation conflict
> * blocking of light from the real world when a pixel of the object should be visible
> * transparency of pixels for which the real world should be visible
>
> The patents state these requirements to best match the capabilities of the average human visual system :
>
> * 50 pixels/° for 20/20 visual acuity (should be 60 pixels/° but close enough)
> * minimum FOV of 40°x40°, requiring 8 Mpx for 20/20 vision (looks like the best candidate)
> * desired FOV of 120°x80°, requiring 50 Mpx for 20/20 vision
>
> And their patents make these claims :
>
> * **projection device** : scanning fiber display with piezoelectric actuator with a 3840×2048 resolution (8 Mpx) at 60 Hz
> * **occlusion mask** : blocks light in specific pixels with liquid crystal display(s) operating at 60 Hz coupled with the projection device
> * **zone plate diffraction patterning device** : 12 layers (focal planes) of depth from 0.25 to 3 m operating at 720 Hz for 60 Hz viewing
> * **waveguide with embedded diffraction grating** : redirects collimated light towards the eye through the diffraction pattern while allowing transparency
>
reddit/com/r/oculus/comments/2stl1h/the_verge_posted_a_ton_of_magic_leap_patent/cntcrxd