Why should I purchase Google Home if I already use "OK Google" on my phone?

robdam1001

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
Doesn't using "Ok Google" on phone phone pretty much do the same thing as Google Home? I wouldn't want to play any music through Google home since I have SONOS in every room.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Google home is a speaker to play music and a voice activated controller for Chromecast first. I can count on one hand how often I use it for searching or really anything I would do from my phone.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Google Home does more things than the Google on your phone.

Also, your phone can't flip YouTube or Netflix to Chromecast.

And, your phone won't just play news, etc. for you.

Follow @GoogleHomeNews On Twitter!

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I guess if Google Home added SONOS capabilities, then I would get one. Any idea if that is on the roadmap?
U can't add a audio cast to the Sonos? But to answer your question it's mainly convenience... The same way u do searches on your phone rather get on your laptop and do the search...

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I guess if Google Home added SONOS capabilities, then I would get one. Any idea if that is on the roadmap?
According to the Verge, Google Home/Sonos integration is coming "soon". If you are using Sonos devices that have an AUX input you can hook up chromecast Audio devices to them. One advantage of chromecast audio is the ability to group speakers in a way that Sonos and other wifi speakers cannot do. For example, a speaker can belong to more than one group, thus you do not have to move speakers in an app. So if you have speakers downstairs and upstairs you could combine say Living Room, Family Room and Kitchen into a group called Downstairs. At the same time you could have these speakers plus all the others in the house in another group called "everywhere". Thus you could say "Hey Google, play my mix everywhere" and all speakers would be in sync. Or "Hey Google, play jazz downstairs". If you want stereo just get a splitter and connect the left and right outputs to the proper Aux in of each speaker.
For me I am using powered speakers and it is a lot less expensive than a Sonos and sounds as good or better. with Chromecast Audio you can chose what speakers you want for each area, and at $25 each (on sell) it is a less expensive alternative to Sonos or may cost more but with higher audio quality if you select the right speakers (note the speakers must be powered or connected to an amp). Chromecast Audio also has a Digital connection suitable for High Resolution Audio.

You can also cast video via voice command. Currently YouTube and Netflix are supported. For example you can say "hey Google, play Zootopia from Netflix on my home theater".

Even more capabilities are coming. Just like the Amazon Echo, it will take a little while for new features to come but they will and I believe Google Home will be more user friendly and capable than the Echo in the near future

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1