Is it worth buying, or should I wait for round two?

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Just as the title says. Purchase or wait. I really like what I see and I would like to think google will support this device. But part of me feels like if I buy it now, when v2 comes out they will say " we won't support v1 because, blah, blah, blah, hardware".

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't think I'd worry about a next gen device as much as what Google plans to do. I've had mine for three months with zero upgrades, even basic functions you'd expect aren't yet supported.

So hardware wise I see no reason to wait, functionality wise, hard to see if google is really behind this product.

John55bt

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I have a google home System. Didn't it just come out not too long ago? Why would they rush out a second generation google home System so soon. That can not do half of what Amazon echo/dot can do. So far for me very disappointed in google home System. I would think by now they would be pushing out some updates by now so far nothing

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm meant to say that when it comes time to update they will use the excuse that they can't because the hardware is outdated and can't run the software, even though it truly isn't (nexus 5).

marcb11

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I guess I'm meant to say that when it comes time to update they will use the excuse that they can't because the hardware is outdated and can't run the software, even though it truly isn't (nexus 5).
By that concern you can never buy anything because eventually that will happen to all devices.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Yea, in this case it's less about the hardware and more about the services. How long was it before they refreshed the Chromecast?

Go ahead and get it now!

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I am going to keep my GH. I wouldve return it if it was working with Harmony hub. I got it to work with IFTTT but hopefully it will work with Harmony hub without IFTTT. I really want to be able to control the volume on my receiver and be able to pause/play my movies.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
GH will work with Samsung smart things which will work with harmony hub. Once you set up your harmony activities you add them to smart things and use GH. Example. Hey Google turn on CBS.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Harmony hub is a remote control system. You enter your devices, TV, A/V receiver, lights,and everything else. Next you set up activities like home theater where that activity turns on your home theater, A/V receiver, turns off or down your lights, and tunes in your favorite channel.

IFTTT is an app that allows you to set a condition IFT (IF This) and a result (Than That). It works as a go between for 2 devices.

Samsung Smart Things is a hub that collect various devices and makes them available to other devices such as the Amazon Echo or Google Home. So one way to get the Harmony Hub to work with Google Home is to use the Smart Things as the go between.

This is a real simple answer to your questions. There are several YouTube videos on all this. You may want to search for them. Home automation is a good starting point.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=1itLkK4smNY

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=e4N_vw2eQG4

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar