Do not buy a second Google Home if you intend to play different songs (from play music) on each one

RocketmanN7

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Do not buy a second Google Home if you intend to play different songs (from play music) on each one at the same time. I have them both linked to my Google account, which is a family plan, yet after starting to play different song on each, one will quit playing saying that the account is in use on a different device. This sucks! I know I can link one to my wife's account, but that rather defeats the purpose. I have the family plan, it should play more that one song at a time, that's why I pay for the family plan.

RobE2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Do not buy a second Google Home if....

Do not buy a second Google Home if you intend to play different songs (from play music) on each one at the same time. I have them both linked to my Google account, which is a family plan, yet after starting to play different song on each, one will quit playing saying that the account is in use on a different device. This sucks! I know I can link one to my wife's account, but that rather defeats the purpose. I have the family plan, it should play more that one song at a time, that's why I pay for the family plan.

I wonder if you can start playing music on one and Cast to the other. A pain, but maybe a workaround. I feel like Google is still trying to come to grips with multiple people using the same devices. Hopefully they'll figure it out.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site

I wonder if you can start playing music on one and Cast to the other. A pain, but maybe a workaround. .

I was casting a YouTube video to my TV. I told Home to play something else and forgot to tell it to cast to the tv. Home gave an error message and said my account was in use on another device. So it does not look like you can use your account on two devices at once

RobE2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I was casting a YouTube video to my TV. I told Home to play something else and forgot to tell it to cast to the tv. Home gave an error message and said my account was in use on another device. So it does not look like you can use your account on two devices at once
Sounds like a different thing. Did you start the original cost with the same Home you made the second request on?

I only have one Home, so I can't test this, but what I'm suggesting is using a third device to cast to your second Home. No way for me to test it, but I did try this: started a YouTube video on my phone. Casted it to my Chromecast. Went to Google Home and asked it the play a Google Play playlist on the Home. No problem. Went back to the phone and started a different Google Play playlist. Tried to cast that to my Chromecast (which was still playing YouTube). No problem. One account playing different things on different devices.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site

Sounds like a different thing. Did you start the original cost with the same Home you made the second request on?

I used Home and told it to cast a youtube to my tv. I the asked Home to play something different and didn't tell it to cast to the tv. The song played for about two seconds on Home and then it stopped and gave the error message.

RobE2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

I used Home and told it to cast a youtube to my tv. I the asked Home to play something different and didn't tell it to cast to the tv. The song played for about two seconds on Home and then it stopped and gave the error message.

Right, and the OP is talking about using two Homes to play two different things. Still don't know if that's possible using my workaround, but I can definitely play two different things on two different devices.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Each Google account is supposed to be allowed to use Google Music and/or YouTube Red in one location only. This is a security feature intended to prevent one email address from being used by multiple people at the same time. It is part of the content licencing requirements and basically helps ensure that content authors are being paid properly within those services. This further goes to Cast, creating a situation where it is not necessarily easy to cast from one account to multiple devices, though with several origination devices it can be done for a short time. The impact on Google Home is that you can cast to a group of home devices or each Google account can cast to some separately.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Each Google account is supposed to be allowed to use Google Music and/or YouTube Red in one location only. This is a security feature intended to prevent one email address from being used by multiple people at the same time. It is part of the content licencing requirements and basically helps ensure that content authors are being paid properly within those services. This further goes to Cast, creating a situation where it is not necessarily easy to cast from one account to multiple devices, though with several origination devices it can be done for a short time. The impact on Google Home is that you can cast to a group of home devices or each Google account can cast to some separately.

SO If I understand you correctly. Using Google Music, If I have 2 Google Homes [A] and . I can cast to both by grouping them together from my account. OR I can cast to them separately [A] from my account and from my son's?

If so what about what OP said about them both being set up under the same google account?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

SO If I understand you correctly. Using Google Music, If I have 2 Google Homes [A] and . I can cast to both by grouping them together from my account. OR I can cast to them separately [A] from my account and from my son's?

If so what about what OP said about them both being set up under the same google account?

Yes, you can do the first scenario and second scenario. The third scenario (OP's) will still work until it determines that it has run into a one account pushing content to multiple instances scenario, at which time it will terminate one of the feeds and may prevent additional feeds.

RobE2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

isn't Home a Chromecast with a speaker.

Home acts as a Chromecastable speaker, in addition to other things. Which is why I did my experiment. But Home is not just a chromecast device, so I can't say for certain that what I did would work with two Google Homes.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

This might be slightly off topic, but maybe in the future, Google Home could toggle between accounts or actively maintain 2 or more accounts.

I have a Google home that can tell me about my day, but if it could recognize my wife's voice and tell her about her day or provide her shopping list...