Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Tether

When I first got my Nexus One, there were a few different tethering apps in the market. I downloaded PdaNet and some other one after that to give both a shot. But I was having problems with simultaneous voice and data on AT&T 3G so Google suggested me resetting my phone. When I went back to the market, all the tethering apps (that don't require you to be rooted) were gone. I check a few times a week to see if any appear again, but it hasn't happened.

So, does anyone know a source where I can download a (preferably free) tethering app? I'm really considering rooting because I'd really like to have wifi tethering, it's just that it looks kinda hard and the whole thing about it voiding your warranty...I wish I wasn't such an Android noob.

Global Posts
    9,492 Global Posts

pda net is available by sideloading you need to check the box in the settings to install from third party you can get it here

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

When I go to that link in my Nexus One, it gives me the option to download for Windows or Mac and it tells me to download the app from the Market first, but the app isn't in the Market right now, and hasn't been for weeks.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I use the free wireless tether app on my T-Mobile Nexus One (running CM 5.0.6) and it works great!! Even supports wifi encryption, mac filtering, tether via wifi or bluetooth and more!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm not rooted.

I have the AT&T N1 and switched my SIM from my iPhone. LOVE the N1...
    My question: Will AT&T know I'm tethering with the rooted wireless tethering app?
    I know from the AndroidCentral podcast that there is a bit that the app switches so the carrier knows it's in tether mode. I'm hoping this app doesn't do that.

Channan
    When I go to that link in my Nexus One, it gives me the option to download for Windows or Mac and it tells me to download the app from the Market first, but the app isn't in the Market right now, and hasn't been for weeks.
    I don't think you can install it straight to your N1 from the web site. I believe you need to go to that link from your computer and then download the installer for the application to your computer. Once the installer is downloaded, make sure your N1 is connect to your computer, then run the installer to install the application. During the installation process it should install the application to both your computer and to your N1. NOTE, at least this is how it works on my WM device, so I can't say for sure about Android.

Global Posts
    9,492 Global Posts

hmm im sorry I thought the application itself was on the website... I didnt think I got it from the market... but maybe I did.

PdaNet is still available on AppBrain. I wish they had something besides paypal for buying the full version.

Global Posts
    9,492 Global Posts

you can install pdanet from here http://www.junefabrics.com/m