Texting On Google Nexus

CarolClark

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I am looking for purchasing Google Nexus one, but i have a question.Anyone can tell me is texting on a Google Nexus One hard or easy compared to a normal 12 key phone?

mbranscum

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Blackberry 9700 I found it fairly easy. Just took a few days to get used to it, plus I installed Smart Keyboard (from the Market).

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Texting works great, and the spelling prediction and word completion seems as good as any I have seen. On screen keyboard in landscape affords better spacing of keys, but portrait is easier to do one-handed. I've never found a need to download a different keyboard.

At any time, you can tap the microphone and speak your text and the phone gets it right more often than not, certainly as good as the spelling in a typical text message. You can speak-to-text in virtually all applications, email, web, notes, calendar, etc. This may be a problem for speakers with heavy accents, but my Mid-western generic speech pattern is recognized almost perfectly, and there is a chance to edit before you send by using the track ball for positioning.

Coming from a 12 key, you will find it much faster than three of these two of that four of something else just to form a short word. Long words are faster because suggestions appear after a few characters and tapping one inserts the word for you, just like some 12key phones.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I came from an iPhone, and it took a little while to really get used to typing on the Nexus, but after downloading the Android Central themed HTC Sense keyboard, I can type a whole lot faster. And on those days I just completely screw up typing a lot, I just press the microphone button and speak my text.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
500 keyboards in the store and none of them mention Android Central. If you find it good enough to recommend, how about a link to it?

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
i just installed the standard 12 key keyboard onto my nexus one, and now i can use T9 for super fast texting. its really easy, just install the HTC_IME keyboard and you have the option to change the keyboard to whatever you like.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Definitely a whole lot faster than a 12 key phone. I have yet to meet anyone who thought it was even a close race.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Are you guys talking about T9?

motorola-razr2-v8.jpg

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Definitely a whole lot faster than a 12 key phone. I have yet to meet anyone who thought it was even a close race.

There are some really fast 12key users out there, only with physical keyboards on simple Phones with positive feed back (some sort of click - not silent keys).

They don't have to watch the keys or the display because the can count presses faster than the phone can prompt candidates.

I sat behind some woman at a ball game once who was using some ancient nokia . It was so amazing I missed two innings. She, on the other hand, missed the whole game - texted nonstop.

MitchRapp

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
my last 5 phones were Nokia ... and all had the lovely 12-key texting...

It took quite some time to adapt to the Nexus one (I've had it for exactly 1 month now) but I'm still not quite 100% used to it.

Luckily, I got "SlideIT" ... this is by far the most useful texting app ever (after Handcent of course)

Slide your fingers across the keyboard and SlideIT will try and determine what the hell you were thinking of writing :p

sandplasma

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Once you install SWYPE you will never go back to normal texting. I type faster than people with physical kboards. The catch is that the open Beta for swype is long gone. You may be able to find it elsewhere. Definitely better.

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just hold the search button and say "text <insert person here>" and say what I want. It's the easiest way to do anything on the phone. Typing is the past for me now.