Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just placed order for Nexus One

I just ordered a Nexus One. Thank goodness for overnight shipping. Hopefully, it will make it on the truck/plane/etc. today and I can have it tomorrow. My current iPhone will go to my wife (all this came about after an unfortunate incident with her work iPhone and rain).

I will still be on AT&T. I understand that I have to call them up and change my data plan to a "smartphone" plan from the current iPhone plan, and that I have to activate the phone via Google. Is this correct, and is that about it? Other than installing apps and such, anything else that needs to be done? (And are the AT&T CSRs finally aware of what a "Nexus One" actually is now? I've read posts where they were oblivious to the device.)

Looking forward to learning the device, and eventually, I'll probably get into some "modifications." Thanks!

Arrow

You don't even need to do anything with AT&T or Google, I have 3 phones running on AT&T and I opened my account with AT&T with the iphone 3gs with a data plan and later I got a nexus one and just put the sim card in it and everything worked. Just swap sims and everything should just work as it should.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's how I would expect it to work, but I read somewhere that after a while, AT&T throttles the bandwidth because IMEI's don't match or it doesn't know how to classify it. At least it doesn't sound like I have to do anything right away, so that's good. I have a mess of stuff to do with the line my wife uses (phone switching, number swap, etc.), so I can mention it then I suppose. Thanks for the reply!

Well you don't need to do anything is what im trying to say. I've been using an AT&T nexus one for about 2 months without any problems, heck I even tried tethering on it and it worked tethering 3G wirelessly to my computer

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

When I bought an unlock myTouch 3G when I was still with AT&T (I had an AT&T dumbphone that I used to get out of the smartphone plan), I was using the $15 for unlimited data (yes I know the connection was only EDGE), but AT&T did not have the IMEI number in there database since that was a TMO phone. Now, with N1 for AT&T don't know if AT&T will have the IMEI in their database to see if it is a smartphone or not.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Cool. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Really jonesin' for the phone to arrive now.

Ordered mine Friday and it's on the FedEx truck on it's way now. Should be here before three, though obviously I'm hoping for sooner rather than later.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Congrats on buying a N1.
    I hope Google would just release CDMA N1's I could buy one for Verizon. I do not really care about the Droid Incredible and I have the Motorola Droid which is a good phone, but getting updates takes forever.

Well...N1 #1 was DOA. It worked for 20 minutes, and then lost connection. I restarted, and it worked. Then it stopped. Restarted, and then got the SIM Not Found error. Tried another SIM, still didn't work. Long story short, I'm returning this one and just ordered a new one. Hope #2 is better, and hope it gets here by tomorrow. :-(

This is exactly why Google's online-only approach is not effective. I can't just walk into a brick-and-mortar store and get a replacement. I have to ship it. Ridiculous, but I knew what I was getting into when I ordered it.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by cmhnexus View Post
    Well...N1 #1 was DOA. It worked for 20 minutes, and then lost connection. I restarted, and it worked. Then it stopped. Restarted, and then got the SIM Not Found error. Tried another SIM, still didn't work. Long story short, I'm returning this one and just ordered a new one. Hope #2 is better, and hope it gets here by tomorrow. :-(

This is exactly why Google's online-only approach is not effective. I can't just walk into a brick-and-mortar store and get a replacement. I have to ship it. Ridiculous, but I knew what I was getting into when I ordered it.
    That sucks. I hope I have better luck. The wife is taking over the iPhone this evening. I will be device-less until the n1 arrives. I am already starting to get the shakes.

So wait, what happens if you run the $15 a month plan with a Nexus One on AT&T? Do they throttle your connection?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

In my brief pre-ordering investigation, I found posts (various forums) saying that either bandwidth was throttled after a couple of months or in one case, the customer received a very large data bill (>$200 - don't know if they had a lesser data plan on the previous phone or not).

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts

I ordered mine yesterday at 1:00pm, and it arrived at 10:00am this morning. I'm loving it so far.

Glad yours is working out. My replacement arrives tomorrow and I shipped my faulty one back today.

Mine arrived this morning and for some strange reason my app market does not seem to work. It tells me download will start but nothing happens. Does anyone have the same problem?

Global Posts
    465 Global Posts

Yea its annoying. Click cancel and then Download again or if you wait it will eventually d/l.

Thanks Kage, Thats what I have been doing all day will keep on trying...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Just to come full circle, my N1 arrived yesterday, and it's a fantastic little device so far. Just have to learn the new system, find apps, and have time to play around with it. Inopportune week to actually have lots of work at work. :/

I think you'll be very happy with the nexus one, so many options for that phone!

My replacement arrived today--so far it's perfect!
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by cmhnexus View Post
    My replacement arrived today--so far it's perfect!
    Good to hear. Enjoy!