1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlocked Nexus One - CDA + US

I want to get an unlocked Nexus One that will work on Fido in Canada and T-Mobile in the US. I am looking at:`

HTC Google Nexus One Unlocked QuadBand GPS WiFi HSDPA Cellular Phone
    2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 2100 / 900

It's at $595 on Integron Technonologies Website

Would this work ?

Do you have any other Android suggestions? (something that will eventually run 2.2)

I want to get acquainted with Android... tired of my Symbian, S60, iPhone and Windows mobile phones....

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

I hate trying to figure this stuff out. Looking at Wikipedia the T-Mobile Nexus should support 3G on 900MHZ, but I would recommend calling the company to be sure. You may want to check the voice frequencies if you haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by hrmartin View Post
    I want to get an unlocked Nexus One that will work on Fido in Canada and T-Mobile in the US. I am looking at:`

HTC Google Nexus One Unlocked QuadBand GPS WiFi HSDPA Cellular Phone
    2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 2100 / 900
    That may the one you want, but you don't state which bands Fido uses.

If in doubt, just buy direct. Google has not yet shut down the on-line store.

Last edited by icebike; 06-01-2010 at 12:21 PM.

I believe T-Mobile in the states uses 1700MHz (I frequently see it referred to as AWS) for its 3G band (and mostly 1900MHz for EDGE, IIRC). In Googling for Fido, it looks like they are using 1900MHz exclusively because all of the 800 (850) MHz spectrum is already in use by other carriers. Not sure if Fido will be deploying 1900MHz 3G, if they already have, or really anything about that. I found this on Google's site ():

Two versions of the device are currently offered. Both versions support four GSM radio frequencies (850/900/1800/1900), but the supported 3G/UMTS bands will differ depending on the version selected. When ordering, you'll be able to select either of the following devices:

3G coverage on networks that use the 850 MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2100 MHz frequency bands (recommended for use on AT&T in the US and Rogers Wireless, Bell Mobility and TELUS in Canada)
    3G coverage on networks that use the 900 MHz, AWS, and 2100 MHz frequency bands (recommended for use on T-Mobile in the US and WIND Mobile in Canada)
    In addition, the Nexus One will deliver 2G/EDGE speeds on GSM networks and also supports WiFi.

These cover most major GSM mobile providers worldwide; however, if you're unsure of the bands supported by your mobile service provider, please contact your provider directly prior to purchase. Also remember that voice and data coverage, including both 2G/EDGE and 3G coverage, are dependent on your specific mobile carrier's network and coverage areas. Check with your mobile carrier about the availability of voice and data services in your area.
    HTH,
    --
    applejosh
    Just a username...not a fanboy
    former Nexus One owner (AT&T)

Fido=Rogers so you won't be able to use the T-Mobile one on the Fido/Rogers network. You will have to get 2 phones to be able to use both networks.

Quote Originally Posted by seer_claw View Post
    Fido=Rogers so you won't be able to use the T-Mobile one on the Fido/Rogers network. You will have to get 2 phones to be able to use both networks.
    Only if you want 3G. EDGE (850/900/1800/1900) looks like it will work on either network, regardless of which model, which makes sense since there were some people using the T-Mobile version of the Nexus 1 on AT&T with EDGE only (before the AT&T model was made available). But T-Mobile and their odd-man-out 3G band (1700MHz) they use makes it impossible to use 3G across the board given the current models.

(Again, this is only by looking at the reported bands in use by the two carriers. Probably best to either contact them directly or find someone who does the same thing you're wanting to do.)
    --
    applejosh
    Just a username...not a fanboy
    former Nexus One owner (AT&T)