Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Nexus One is resetting for unknown reasons

So, I got Froyo installed a couple of weeks ago, and a week ago, I dropped my Nexus One on the floor, from like 2 feet, but nothing wrong happened. But now, all of sudden, it's resetting by itself, 95% of the time, when I'm charging the phone and while using some apps.

I'm not sure if this happens because I dropped, but nothing seems to be wrong with the hardware; or maybe it's because of Froyo, and it's software related.

The strange thing, is that 95% of the issue happens, when the phone is hot because of the charging, and while using some apps.

What might be the problem?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Could be flaky software, but also could be a connection has shook loose or solder joint busted from the fall. As they heat up and expand, connectivity is lost.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

Mine has been doing that as well, but I believe it's when I'm trying to either take a picture or video. Not really paid attention. It has happened maybe 3 times.
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast

But Froyo hates you Duvi lol
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

The first N1 I got did this exact same thing. But I never dropped it or anything, and the unit was stock OS. It would reset mainly when charging, but sometimes when off the charger. I got ahold of HTC and they agreed it was a bad device, sent me a new one and this one has been perfect.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for your answers guys. The heating is the problem. I noticed this today, because I was using 3G a lot, and it got very warm, and then it turned off and began the resetting process. The battery indicator showed that it was 37 C or something above that, when it stopped working.

So, could it be that, because I dropped it, something got loose inside, and when it gets too hot, the circuits expand, and the phone stops working, as you guys said. I believe this could be the problem, because when the phone gets cold again, it works perfectly.

The only thing I don't understand, is why this doesn't happen when I leave my phone charging all night long. I'm pretty sure it gets really hot too, but the difference might be that the phone it's not using any app at this time.

What can I do? Should I try to open it, to try to fix it by myself, trying to find something loose, or do I send the phone to a repair shop or the HTC.

Thanks again for your help.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Should I open my Nexus One, to check for loose leads?????

tough call. Do you know what and where to look? Or how to fix it? Might be better served hitting your local electronics repair shop if you're certain it's damaged.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Mine isn't resetting, but turning itself off randomly. I have to take the battery out and put it back in just to get it to turn back on. Anyone heard of this problem?
    Johnly likes this.

My brothers was turning off randomly and was starting to get annoying for him. I suggested taking out the sim and microSD cards and restart it. He turned it on and let it boot then turned it off again. Reinstalled the cards and its stopped turning off now so I have a funny feeling that a loose card could create a issue where the phone shuts off.

My Nexus One reboots randomly every once in a while on 2.1
    Sometimes more than others. I've had days when it has rebooted randomly 3 or 4 times (often when using apps and often when I am doing nothing to the phone). I've also had days when it hasn't rebooted at all.

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbhil View Post
    But Froyo hates you Duvi lol
    It does and while I was out with some friends... I
    was rushing to get a take a pic and guess what?
    Yes, you guessed it, it rebooted

Might be on 5.0.8 cm soon.
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Well, my issue is because of the heat it produces, while using 3G or while charging the unit, but gbhil might be right, I will take my N1 to a repair shop, because I won't be able to fix the problem by myself. I will let you know if I'm able to fix the problem.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

My phone has the same problem but I have never dropped it. Whenever it charges and it begins to get hot, it restarts and keeps restarting until it cools down. Or when I'm using a certain app and it gets hot, it will restart. Its getting annoying now.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Boswell View Post
    My phone has the same problem but I have never dropped it. Whenever it charges and it begins to get hot, it restarts and keeps restarting until it cools down. Or when I'm using a certain app and it gets hot, it will restart. Its getting annoying now.
    This is exactly the problem I have. I beginning to think, that it has nothing to do with me dropping the N1, but because of the early version of Froyo I installed. I will be sure about this, when the official version comes out. I will let you knoe.

Same problem with me, although I don't know if it is just because of heat. (I've never dropped mine).

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

I dont think it has anything to do with froyo though. I dont have froyo on my phone. just stock 2.1 and I have the problem
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Well, then it must be something wrong with the phone. I will take it to a repairshop.

I dont think it has anything to do with froyo though. I dont have froyo on my phone. just stock 2.1 and I have the problem
    Yea, I'm on 2.1 as well.

I called support today for my phone turning itself off, and they told me to factory reset, and if it does it again within 24 hours to call them back and they'll replace it. So far so good.

I also read on the website that turning off due to excessive heat is a battery problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JFetch View Post
    I called support today for my phone turning itself off, and they told me to factory reset, and if it does it again within 24 hours to call them back and they'll replace it. So far so good.

I also read on the website that turning off due to excessive heat is a battery problem.
    What goes into doing a factory reset?
    Do you end up losing anything?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I'm gonna try the factory reset first. I think you lose evething, except for contacts and calendar, because they're in the cloud, but I guess you can use a backup program, so you can save the data of all the other apps.

With a factory reset you lose everything that isn't saved to your sim.

update: Still no problems. I'm thinking it might be an app causing it to turn off. I remember it didn't start doing it until I had a bunch of apps downloaded.

Gosh, my Nexus One just rebooted itself while it was playing music in the dock.
    This is so annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by JFetch View Post
    With a factory reset you lose everything that isn't saved to your sim.
    Why do people always say that if you get a new Android phone, "you just login and then everything is there"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast