Nexus One vs. Galaxy S(Captivate)

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Trying to decide between these 2 phones(on AT&T). Here are my pros of each:

Galaxy S:
Faster processor for graphics
Super Amoled display better in sunlight and less battery drain
Better battery life- 625 hrs. of standby vs. 250 hrs. for N1(similar talk times)
Records 720p/30 fps video vs. 480p/20 fps for N1
Wireless N wifi
Wireless tethering/hotspot
FM radio
More built in storage 16GB vs. 512MB

Nexus One:
LED Flash for camera vs. no flash on Galaxy S
Guaranteed to get quick updates

On paper the Galaxy S kills the Nexus One. Am I missing anything. Are any of the weaknesses of the N1 possible to fix with updates. I would prefer not to root the phone, but would not be completely opposed to it.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Then there is the MicroSD card memory for both phones. N1 comes with 4Gig, most people replace it immediately with something larger. These are cheep.

Galaxy comes with 16gig welded on, and the ability to expand. But most people would probably be able to live in 16 gig unless they want every song they ever heard on the phone.

Nexus records Video at 720x480 pixels at 20 frames. This may improve with Froyo.

Nexus may get 802.11N with Froyo.

Nexus one will get tethering with Foyo.

Nexus has an FM radio, but its unclear if it will be turned on.

Nexus one will get Froyo far sooner than Galaxy.

Then you have to consider the Galaxy will probably be from a carrier and locked. And it is a Samsung, which most people seem to think have a plastic feel, with lower build quality.

But Galaxy has the better screen, (have to see them side by side to know if it matters).

I'd wait for Froyo (you probably have no choice since Galaxy isn't out yet). Then compare again.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Can apps be run off of the SD card on the N1? If so, 32 GB is more than enough. The video at 480p/20 fps kinda stinks. Will software(Froyo) be able to improve it or is it a hardware limitation? I assume it has an N wifi radio now but just disabled? The two biggest things for me are the display(better in sunlight) and much better battery in standby. I will definitely wait until it is released to see/touch it and get some reviews.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Apps can be run off the MicroSD card in Froyo if the app developer sets a flag to allow it.

There is a pretty good unboxing article here:

Samsung Galaxy S unboxing & first-impressions | Android Community
with photos just taken on 6/17 which includes side by side shots of N1 and Galaxy S screen. However, I'm not convinced he had the N1 at full bright, or even 50% bright, because it looks way to washed out.

In that shot, the Galaxy is much blacker blacks,much higher contrast.

Also his article says the Galaxy is WVGA screen (same as Nexus) and zooming in on the side by side photo suggests that the pixel sizes match exactly as you would expect since both screens are 800x480.

There is no mystery about the better standby times. It has a bigger battery, 1500mah vs 1400. That phone will never spend that time in standby, you would be much too busy playing with it. ;-)

Its a sweet looking phone.

ap3604

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
On paper the Galaxy S kills the Nexus One.

No camera flash is an absolute fail for the Galaxy. WTF was Samsung thinking?!

Might as well have no bluetooth while your at it Samsung GeeZ'

I was really looking forward to this phone too. Sigh...

techdaring

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Think back, with Nexus One you can active 720p video recording, as some hack tips released before

With Nexus One, you can using tethernet, from Froyo version.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
No camera flash is an absolute fail for the Galaxy. WTF was Samsung thinking?!

Might as well have no bluetooth while your at it Samsung GeeZ'

I was really looking forward to this phone too. Sigh...

I agree about the no flash. Complete stupidity. Although not a deal breaker for me, it is a serious flaw. I will wait to hold it to see if it is too big and how much better the display is than the N1.

Starku

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, the Galaxy S looks too much like an iPhone on Android if you ask me. Seriously, look at the two side by side and see if Steve Jobs isn't looking for a reason to sue. That, and I've not been on good terms with Sansung since forever. I always seem to get devices from them that do not hold signal like they should. The first device I got was by choice, as an upgrade, and the build quality did not even match the brick of a phone that my Nokia was. The second was not my choice as my BB had died and I needed a phone. Unfortunately this phone can have full signal just outside my house and then randomly lose signal in my house. My roommate is also on T-Mobile (I know this is an AT&T phone, but still), and he NEVER loses signal on his beat up Nokia. The choice would be clear for me, the N1 hands down.

khoppe

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Froyo coming for the Galaxy S

on september 23 froyo 2.2 is being released in europe for the samsung galaxy s! So hopefully in the coming months we will also have it in the states! I say get the galaxy s. if you havent already!

spectre51

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
The HD video recording on the N1 once you do the hacks (or install cyanogen) is no where near as good as the captivate. I like my N1 but after playing with my friends captivate I really like that phone more than the N1. The only think the N1 has over the Captivate is no carrier restrictions (tethering) and faster updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois