1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Enom's TheOfficial

Default Nexus One to be delivered today :) And a question for Canadian owners (Bell)

So I'm currently waiting (somewhat impatiently) for my Nexus One to arrive today.. out for delivery, so it shouldn't be long now

For any N1 users in Canada: I'll be using it on Bell Mobility. I currently have a Pre, which is CDMA, but the N1 will obviously require a Sim card for use on their HSPA network. Has anyone been able to get a Bell Sim card for the advertised $5 price, withOUT having to pay the ridiculous $35 activation fee? I read some posts online of people being able to get them at The Source (Circuit City), but the one I visited told me they couldn't sell the sim cards without a new activation. I'm in Vancouver, btw.

I find it absurd that I would have to pay for activation, when I can do it myself online, all I need is the sim. Also given the fact that I already paid this fee when I signed my contract with them.

I don't understand why you would pay activation fee twice for one line of service.
    Take your paperwork in showing the activation fee paid and get your sim.

Are you SURE what you paid was an activation fee?

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

sorry to hear you're moving away from the pre. i did too, but i'm looking forward to the next webos hardware.

also, you'll love gsm. let cdma die, people!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Enom's TheOfficial

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    I don't understand why you would pay activation fee twice for one line of service.
    Take your paperwork in showing the activation fee paid and get your sim.

Are you SURE what you paid was an activation fee?
    I don't understand it either, except it's one of those things that Bell is, unfortunately, infamous for. A $35 activation fee for a new account, $35 activation fee for changing from a month-to-month account to a contract, $35 activation fee for activating a new phone on an already existing account.... it's crap, and I wonder how legal it is, personally. But some people have managed to get around it, except it seems to be up to the person/rep they happen to be dealing with at the time.

And yes, I am sure it was an activation fee I paid when I initially got my Pre. That's a good idea about brining the paperwork in. If I make a big enough fuss about it, I may very well get them to wave it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Enom's TheOfficial

Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    sorry to hear you're moving away from the pre. i did too, but i'm looking forward to the next webos hardware.

also, you'll love gsm. let cdma die, people!
    I'm kind of sorry to be moving away from it myself.. but for my day to day use there's just too many annoyances with it. I'm also looking forward to future webos devices though, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on HP/Palm.

And yes, I'm looking forward to being back on GSM/HSPA.. no more data cutting out while on a call is the big one for me.

Global Posts
    472 Global Posts

@icebike

Bell, aka Bull, are known for this crap up here :/
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Enom's TheOfficial

Quote Originally Posted by melwan View Post
    @icebike

Bell, aka Bull, are known for this crap up here :/
    Too true. On advice I read elsewhere (in another forum, I think), I'm going to try Walmart tomorrow. I'll report back the outcome, for anyone else wandering through here.

congratulations for your Nexus One.
    Game on James Bond 007 on Xbox 007
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Enom's TheOfficial

Quote Originally Posted by stalker View Post
    congratulations for your Nexus One.
    Thanks. I have to say I'm quite happy with it
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    ROM
    Enom's TheOfficial

Well, I managed to get a sim card from Walmart for $10 + tax, no other fee and no hassle. I did the activation online through Bell's Self Serve, entered the APN info myself, and we're up and running. I'll be watching for my next bill to make sure the $35 charge doesn't show up, but the confirmation at the end of the activation process mentioned nothing about any extra fee whatsoever... so we shall see.