2.2 OTA rolling out now!?

Have you gotten your "OTA" yet?

• Total voters

J-Mar

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Come on people. Lets all calm down. I had no intention of starting a flamewar. Lets stick to the topic.

J-Mar, I still call bluff. I don't doubt that you're running Froyo on your N1 with AT&T (which you clearly proved). But knowing how big of a deal the whole Froyo update has been, I find it odd that you failed to document any of the actual OTA with photos or videos. ;-)

That's all for now. I'll save more reasoning for later.

I had no idea of knowing that I was getting something special that only a few folks would get. I had just assumed this was the official rollout and couldn't wait to get it on my phone and try out.

I don't get what you're calling my bluff on... but whatever. If there was a way to get Froyo on an ATT N1 without rooting I'm guessing there'd be a lot of folks that would have done it already. And I don't see any.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I had no idea of knowing that I was getting something special that only a few folks would get. I had just assumed this was the official rollout and couldn't wait to get it on my phone and try out.

I don't get what you're calling my bluff on... but whatever. If there was a way to get Froyo on an ATT N1 without rooting I'm guessing there'd be a lot of folks that would have done it already. And I don't see any.

Not that I've tried it myself, but here you go:

AndroidCentral said:
Phil uses an AT&T Nexus One. I use a T-Mobile Nexus One. Being the Android nerds that we both are, you know we were all over Froyo as soon as we got wind of it. After some marathon flashing sessions, countless adult beverages, and zero bricked phones (huzzah!) we're confident enough to say that Froyo is Froyo. Will a version with a radio optimized for AT&T surface? Probably. But it's entirely possible to install Froyo on your locked bootloader, completely stock AT&T Nexus One. And it works just fine. We've gathered all the instructions together below to get Froyo on your Nexus One regardless of carrier

http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-your-nexus-one-att-users-can-join-fun

Last edited:

J-Mar

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

I read that article when it came out, watched for others to try it and there were a few in the comments that said it didn't work. No one left a comment saying that it did work. Now maybe someone did get it to work but I've yet to see anyone say that it did using that method.

Phil said this in the comments:

I can also say that this is not possible for the AT&T N1. If you have an unlocked bootloader with a custom recovery ROM, you can flash the ERE27 ROM and upgrade from there without moving away from 'stock' ROMs. However, you cannot go from EPE54B to ERE27 without unlocking the bootloader and flashing some custom recovery ROMs.

tom28

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I read that article when it came out, watched for others to try it and there were a few in the comments that said it didn't work. No one left a comment saying that it did work. Now maybe someone did get it to work but I've yet to see anyone say that it did using that method.

Phil said this in the comments:

Um...look closely. those aren't Phil's comments

J-Mar

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Um...look closely. those aren't Phil's comments

Whoops... sorry you're right. Thanks. Not the clearest

Phil did say this though:

Ed. note: OK, here's the deal. This accidentally got published before we meant for it to. We've pulled it from the front page but are leaving it published with this addendum. Cause that's how journalism works. If and when we get this method worked out, we'll get a new post up soonest. Our apologies. The person responsible for the screw-up (erm, me) has been flogged. - Phil

I've yet to see a followup post on this so I do not believe that there is a method to put Froyo on a stock ATT N1.

Find anything else Ock?

BigVDawgy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Interesting story about people who did in fact start seeing the update (and of course J-Mar's video) and speculation as to why it ceased...
http: / / blogs.computerworld.com/16414/froyo_ota_rollout

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Whoops... sorry you're right. Thanks. Not the clearest

Phil did say this though:

I've yet to see a followup post on this so I do not believe that there is a method to put Froyo on a stock ATT N1.

Find anything else Ock?

That's what happens when a writer doesn't communicate with his editor ;) I'm getting better at it (iHope)

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Interesting story about people who did in fact start seeing the update and speculation as to why it ceased...
http: / / blogs.computerworld.com/16414/froyo_ota_rollout

I read that post earlier. And there is no supporting facts in it whatsoever. It is as much speculation as the posts that contradict it are. But when it comes to whether or not an actual OTA has been pushed out upgrading people from Eclair to Froyo (especially for AT&T version), you only need proof to backup one side. And that is that it has been done. Without proof, it's bull speculation. The video posted on it is the same one that J-Mar posted. Does anyone here actually think that he's the special chosen one who is the only person to have received an official OTA update from Eclair to Froyo on their stock AT&T Nexus One? No one else thought to document it whatsoever or snap any proof of it at all? Of course not, because anyone who is familiar with how the process works knows that it's not true.

J-Mar, yes, I've got plenty of other reasoning I can toss at you. But I have no need to. It's not my job to sway people one way or another. There are methods to root the N1 without unlocking the bootloader (publicly posted) and if somehow your AT&T N1 is a dev phone, your bootloader would be relockable anyways. Or you could simply be roaming on AT&T when your phone is actually a T-Mobile one. If you truly are the chosen one, let's see the same video but show us the SIM that is powering the phone, and show us the FCC label under the battery nice and clear all in the same video.

But in terms of going back and forth, this is where it ends for me. You haven't supplied any proof that you received an official Eclair-to-Froyo OTA on an AT&T banded Nexus One. All you proved is that you have a Nexus One that is running Froyo. Congrats, welcome to the xda community crowd.

EDIT: I'm half asleep right now. And reading back through the part that I have now shrunken, it is sounds pretty stupid to me. I'm sure others will agree. But I left it anyways.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to add fuel to the pissing match (I like polite pissing matches lol)

You can root the Nexus One without unlocking the bootloader now.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Just to add fuel to the pissing match (I like polite pissing matches lol)

You can root the Nexus One without unlocking the bootloader now.

Exactly. And gbhil, since I know that you are an experienced dev when it comes to Android, please answer the following. Do you think that they would use literally the exact same build (FRF83 with the baseband that J-Mar is running) on both variations of the Nexus One? The variants have never had the same official versions.

J-Mar, I'm resting on the subject for now. I will say that I do eat my words regarding you using FRF83 on a locked bootloader AT&T Nexus One. But I still do not believe that you received any kind of OTA to bring you from your stock Eclair EPE54B to FRF83. As both myself and gbhil have pointed out, the Nexus One can be rooted without unlocking the bootloader.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
No I don't think they would. Baseband especially.

But I believe J-Mar for three reasons--
He showed the proof that was asked for without hesitation.
A FEW other people claim to have gotten an update, including a person I know has no idea how to fake any of this.
He just said "Hi -- I did." in the forum. Had he wanted his 15 minutes of Android Fame Phandroid or Ozcar would instantly write a story using his video, and he would know it.

So yes, I believe him. But I'm wrong lots of times :)

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
No I don't think they would. Baseband especially.

But I believe J-Mar for three reasons--
He showed the proof that was asked for without hesitation.
A FEW other people claim to have gotten an update, including a person I know has no idea how to fake any of this.
He just said "Hi -- I did." in the forum. Had he wanted his 15 minutes of Android Fame Phandroid or Ozcar would instantly write a story using his video, and he would know it.

So yes, I believe him. But I'm wrong lots of times :)

Fair enough. Valid points.

I personally still feel that it is false for reasons. But I'll give the benefit of the doubt and lay off of it for now since you (J-Mar) have supplied proof when asked. So J-Mar, I fully apologize for the debate I sparked with you and I hope you are enjoying that sweet Froyo taste. But you cannot blame myself or anyone here for the strong doubt based on the circumstances.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Don;t on my account. Y'all are staying civil, handling things well, and getting to the bottom of something damn near everyone on this forum wants to know -- "when froyo now please"

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Don;t on my account. Y'all are staying civil, handling things well, and getting to the bottom of something damn near everyone on this forum wants to know -- "when froyo now please"

I just have nothing left to go on. The only type of absolute proof would be for us to see the actual OTA prompt and the signed build URL from logcat. But that is not possible now since the OTA is done. So whether it's true or not, his "sort-of" proof beats the fact that there is no 100% proof method to give. So I admit defeat... for now ;)

But yes.... Froyo now please... :)

J-Mar

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Ock. After a few days have gone by and I've come to realize it was very few that got it, I can understand the skepticism.

Yes Froyo tastes great. The speed is amazing. Animations that used to hang up a little are perfectly smooth now. I love the little additions like a lock sound when phone is locked or unlocked. I haven't really found anything wrong with this build so they have to be close to releasing for all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon