Best way to block apps from starting at bootup

fshnrob

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anybody knows the best way to prevent apps from starting at bootup? Also for apps that continuously start after ending the task. I'm running a nonrooted Nexus One with Froyo.

macprv

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Usually apps have an option (under their settings) to choose how often update or if you prefer to manual update... if that doesnt help i guess the other option would be a taskiller?

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Uninstall the app, it'll never restart ;)

Otherwise, uh, let it do what it wants to do, unless it's a badly-written app it won't destroy your performance or battery life. I stopped worrying about killing all the apps that are running (like i used to do on my UIQ phone), and am much more peaceful now, and my battery life hasn't suffered one bit.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Still, why should Amazon MP3 app (for one example) jump into memory at random intervals with no ability to control this?

You say it takes no memory and uses no CPU, but it does take load time, and CPU to load it. Further, it hooks into Amazon, taking air time and radio time, and those items use battery that is not attributed to the app, but rather to Android itself.

I've dis-installed some apps simply because they were always running and I used them like once a month at most.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
You're going to have to research this topic cause its just the way android works. Apps running truly do not use any CPU if you monitor with system panel or similar app. Literally they use nothing.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
You're going to have to research this topic cause its just the way android works. Apps running truly do not use any CPU if you monitor with system panel or similar app. Literally they use nothing.

I'm well aware of the claim of using no memory and no CPU.

But it had to get loaded somehow didnt it?

During boot up. While you are waiting. Then it got on the radio and started talking. While I was waiting.

Now I admit I'm something of a neophyte having only been programming for 30 years. So when YOU finish your research I'd be very interested to know how this is all accomplished with ZERO impact on battery and responsiveness .

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
No it didn't use the radio or transmit any data. That only happens if you open the app. It's a service if you look closely. And yes during boot up it used some CPU. My phone has been running for 24 hours right now, and guess what amazon shows as resources used, 1 sec. It's used 1 sec of total CPU time which was during boot up. It's idle all other times unless you actually open the app. So again, android is different than windows environments and how you think of needing free RAM etc.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
No it didn't use the radio or transmit any data. That only happens if you open the app. It's a service if you look closely. And yes during boot up it used some CPU. My phone has been running for 24 hours right now, and guess what amazon shows as resources used, 1 sec. It's used 1 sec of total CPU time which was during boot up. It's idle all other times unless you actually open the app. So again, android is different than windows environments and how you think of needing free RAM etc.

The APPLICATION used 1 second.

The OS used far more than that launching the application. Only when the app is up and running can its resources be attributed to it rather than the OS.

Mine shows it use some 4 thousand bytes over the network in the two seconds it was running after boot up before I killed it.

And no Amazon MP3 is not a service its an app.

Android is noting but Linux. Don't try to mystify it.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok fine I guess all the CPU monitoring apps are just off the wall incorrect, and you happen to have to real CPU usage answer. Amazon mp3 uses a billion CPU percent and network resources. Guess what, android works this way and there's nothing you can do about it. Sell your phone and get something else, non android. You're an expert afterall.

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
It's possible that the Amazon MP3 app is starting up to phone home and see if you have anything new to download. If there are no options to prevent it then it's a poor design of the app. See if you can find the dev for the app and ask them. If the dev is any at all they'll know what there app is doing. You may have a hard time getting any info if the Amazon app is official from them.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
From experience, once I deleted the Task Killer widget from my home screen, everything started running so smoothly. I figured that my obsession with the task killer, taping it every few hours, made things wacky somehow.

And I don't see any battery difference compared to when I used to kill apps every few hours.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I posted the same thing for a month when I first got my nexus, I was furious that these apps were running. I wouldn't accept it and hated it. All I'm saying is to look at the actual processes and see for yourself what these apps are doing. You will find that they do absolutely nothing, no network activity, no CPU activity, no effect on battery whatsoever. Use a monitoring service and observe every app in question. It's the only thing I can say to learn how android works. System panel is the best app to use by far, all other task manager apps don't give the true status of each running app.

Deathwish238

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Still, why should Amazon MP3 app (for one example) jump into memory at random intervals with no ability to control this?

You say it takes no memory and uses no CPU, but it does take load time, and CPU to load it. Further, it hooks into Amazon, taking air time and radio time, and those items use battery that is not attributed to the app, but rather to Android itself.

I've dis-installed some apps simply because they were always running and I used them like once a month at most.

If the app isn't checking for updates or notifying you of anything, then it won't use CPU or battery when it's preloaded.

Android preloads apps on your phone so when you want to use them they load quicker. The Nexus One has plenty of RAM, don't bother with Task Killers. At most, I use Startup Cleaner to stop some apps from loading on boot when other apps are busy updating and doing their thing. But after boot, it doesn't matter if the app preloads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non