Connectivity Issues

Douglerful

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hey I hope this hasn't been posted elsewhere but I'm planning on buy a nexus one (i know I'm late to the android game) since its one of the few decent androids available to Canadians, so my question is how serious are its connectivity issues? I've heard mixed messages of 3g loss and now Wifi loss?

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Honestly you will not have a single issue if you are located in Canada using Rogers. The complaint was with people in weak signal areas already, but it was from your hand blocking the antenna. You should be fine.

Douglerful

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yah I'm going to use Wind Mobile, there a new network up here (all there own towers and everything) They use Gsm, and there 3g is AWS(1700mhz) so the one for Rogers isn't compatible. The 3g issue has been spotted with T-mobile devices and all over the place, but i guess if the issue isn't too serious i'll go buy myself one soon :p

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Just a word of caution, 1700mhz has bad signal penetration which translates into weaker signal inside buildings.

I'm on Fido (which is Rogers) and have full bars even in underground parking garages.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
i have a nexus and use it on both wind and t-mobile (switch sim at the border)

the dropped calls and lack of coverage were bad but are quickly getting better depending on your area. calgary is much better than a week ago, surry is working great but in delta bc i cant seem to hold a call longer than a few min. the signal isnt always the greatest but it seems that wind is getting better quickly and the problems are more related to it being a new company. for the wifi, my brother bought the one for rogers and he does get a stronger signal. one bad part that i havnt noticed any improvement on yet is that i have been very disappointed on the 3G data connection with wind. seems to reset every few min preventing IM and files from downloading. not sure if its just not working yet, or if its intentional to save bandwidth from people tethering. i am using the wifi hotspot in froyo to type this on my laptop right now and works great, just cant stream any video, and any media on the phone, or anything that needs constant internet like IM programs just dont really work

vinny#AC

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a word of caution, 1700mhz has bad signal penetration which translates into weaker signal inside buildings.

I'm on Fido (which is Rogers) and have full bars even in underground parking garages.

I have T-Mobile. Live in suburb out of Boston and have great service. My 3G speeds are very strong and that is both inside and outside. Have never lost a call and my office is in my lower level. T-Mobile has come a very long way. Don't listen to grimms fairy tales. My Nexus one gets on average between 900 and 1600 kbps download and crazy upload speeds between 650 and sometimes 1100 up. We are very close to getting the new HSPA+ speeds and T-Mobile IMO is the best network out there. AT&T has more dropped calls then carter has pills. The speeds are pathetic. The Nexus One and T-Mobile are great together.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
There are still some buggy units out there with losing 3g service, but 99% have been removed from service.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I have T-Mobile. Live in suburb out of Boston and have great service. My 3G speeds are very strong and that is both inside and outside. Have never lost a call and my office is in my lower level. T-Mobile has come a very long way. Don't listen to grimms fairy tales. My Nexus one gets on average between 900 and 1600 kbps download and crazy upload speeds between 650 and sometimes 1100 up. We are very close to getting the new HSPA+ speeds and T-Mobile IMO is the best network out there. AT&T has more dropped calls then carter has pills. The speeds are pathetic. The Nexus One and T-Mobile are great together.

I'm talking specifically about Wind Mobile in Canada. Their coverage barely covers the Greater Toronto Area and has bad signal penetration inside buildings when compared to Rogers/Fido. Part of the issue is the frequency being used.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon