Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question How do I change SD card with apps on it

Ok, I want to upgrade the SD card in my Nexus, problem is that I have moved apps to my current SD card using the normal Froyo method. Do I have to go back into 'Manage Applications' and move them all back to the phone (I probably don't have the room on my phone to do this) or can I just copy the contents of my current SD card to my new SD card and have it work that way?

Thanks
    Thanked by:

I would just try it first. It can't hurt. Copy the SD card's contents to you computer, then to the new card. Just don't delete anything from the old card. Then just see if apps work with the new one. Everything else should be fine, but I can't find any info regarding apps.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hmmm....that mostly worked. The applications that were on my SD card didn't show up in my launcher once my phone was back on with my new SD card. But I downloaded them from the market and they had all my data from before. So I guess that is the way to do it.

Well that's good then. How does you SD card look now? Is it a jumbled mess with duplicated apps or did it just fill in the blanks?

I did this when I first got my Nexus. (Still have the original as a fall back).

The problem is that a regular copy will not necessarily put things in the exact same place, and things that run on the desktop have their addresses cached in Android for speed.

If you use windows GUI to copy you can be pretty sure things will be out of the original order. CMD prompt copying can preserver this for you, as can a linux copy. However for very large changes in Card Size the block size will change and then all bets are off.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

When I first switched I could see the applications in the 'On SD Card' option but again they weren't in the launcher. But after I installed them they seemed to link up fine and found what they needed to. I only have one copy of the application listed in 'manage applications' and it automatically put it in the SD card section like it was before.

Default Re: How do I change SD card with apps on it

Nice. That's good to know.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.1

I just did this an hour ago, I moved from the stock 4gb card to an 8gb and everything seems to be here.
    Siemens CF62T> Samsung T329 Stripe Black> MyTouch 3G Black (Android 1.6 Donut)> Blackberry Bold 9700 (5.0.0.330)> Samsung T219 Brown (backup crap dumbphone)> Google/HTC Nexus One (CM7.2)> Google/LG Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.2)

Smile Re: How do I change SD card with apps on it

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHatz View Post
    Ok, I want to upgrade the SD card in my Nexus, problem is that I have moved apps to my current SD card using the normal Froyo method. Do I have to go back into 'Manage Applications' and move them all back to the phone (I probably don't have the room on my phone to do this) or can I just copy the contents of my current SD card to my new SD card and have it work that way?

Thanks
    hi can u send to me how can i change the internal memory sdcard in my nexus s
    please send to my email zaher@live.no
    please i try so mush to do it but i get the answer from u that i can change the internal memory

Default Re: How do I change SD card with apps on it

Solved.
    Hi, I was experiencing the same problem. The apps that were moved to SD card were not showing up when I used new SD card. Then I realized I had not copied the hidden files from old SD card.
    Just in case someone needs this, its in view menu->show hidden files.