How is the rumored 'Google Phone' different?

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
We're talking about Google here who's definitely not short on cash. They're not looking to make a profit from the handset itself but rather Android taking a large chunk of the mobile market share.

As I said earlier in the thread they will make their money off the App Market, carrier fee's, additional data mining, etc. Take that and what I mentioned on my blog post (The 'Plain Old' In Plain Old Telephone...) a week and a half ago about the way that all the information utilities are changing and suddenly it occurs to me that in a sense, Google could be subsidizing their own equipment. Not directly, but with the numerous benefits that they get by pushing the Android platform. All while coming off being the nice guy that offers a device at a great price.

Now, that being said I still think we are looking at a $300 unsubsidized price through Google, which is a reasonable deal...but still hopeful at best I have a feeling.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I think what it is going to come down to is what Google ultimately wants the "Google Phone" to be marketed. If Google truly wants this to be the Google Phone, then it is quite possible we will see them market it directly as an unlocked device running stock android 2.1. As stated above, Google most certainly has enough cash sitting around to subsidize the phone down to make it more attractive to consumers.

However, I don't know how realistic this is at this point. We still don't know if this is truly the case, or if this is just another dev phone that will ultimately be on T-Mobile or some other U.S. carrier. I am still sticking to the point that, IMHO, this is not a true "Google Phone" no matter how you look at it. As it stands right now, it's an HTC phone running stock Android 2.1, and until that changes, I don't see how this is all that different than a Google Experience device.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
The sheer bulk and outdated look of the droid make this phone much more appealing imo... never cared for the droid.

Funny, I don't consider the Droid particularly outdated looking or bulky. I've had much bigger phones, with much smaller screes. The iPhone may be thinner, but it's a big phone in all other aspects, and has a smaller screen with lower resolution. To me, the iPhone's design looks more dated than the Droid.

sprint_fan

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I think the iPhone design looks dated just because of how little they have changed it for three whole years (you can't even tell each generation apart, that would be pretty nice...), and the Droid just seems ugly because of how boxy it is and the weird chin.

I think this is just a developer phone that they are giving to people to test out, though, that might be one of the first Android phones to come to multiple carriers, if anything.

DNRuffin

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
If people went out and bought the Droid, Google knows they will go out and buy this, so trust me, it'll be at least a couple of hundred dollars.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
You can tell the difference between the first and second/third generations but its not easy to differentiate between the second and third generations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34