Nexus One, Google's plan?

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Here's what I think the Nexus One is all about. The last thing Google wants to do at this point in time is discourage anyone from coming to Android which is what I think would happen if Google entered the market with their own phone like the Nexus One. Obviously it's made by HTC, but like it was said Google dictated every last thing that would make its way to this phone.

A while ago they also said it would be the "true" version of Android. It was be utterly stupid to keep this for themselves and not provide it to other manufacturers like some people have said they plan on doing. What would be the point? They'd lose all the Android partners they've gained so far.

It's much easier to create hype about a phone than it is to create hype about a new OS upgrade, which is why Google has been doing this. It's obviously worked, not only are blogs going nuts about it but mainstream news has picked up on the story as well. I think that the whole point of the Nexus One is to bring attention to the new, improved Android experience of 2.1. It doesn't seem to have many functionality differences between 2.0, but it looks to have been visually upped and now possibly has the GUI to compete with Apple's UI face-to-face. Personally, I've never had a problem with the Android UI but new eye-candy can't hurt to bring new consumers aboard the Android train

Once the phone is released, I think Google will beging upgrading all the old Android phones out there to 2.1. We already heard rumors of the Droid and Eris getting it in January which I hope is true. Rumors are also flying around that the Nexus One will be out on the 15th of January which would fall just a week before the updates for the Verizon Droids, as I hope would happen.

tl;dr: Google has no intentions to make this phone to compete with other OEMS, they're just creating hype for the masses to be exposed to the new visually improved Android. Older handsets will be updated to 2.1 soon after Nexus One.

Obviously, I know none of this for sure I just wanted to share my opinion on what I think/hope will happen and see what others think about it.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It makes a lot of sense.
It also makes sense that HTC is skipping all the way up to 2.1 for sense UI, also due at about the same time.

That way, in a very short amount of time, all Android phones could be running the same OS version again.
Sadly, the side effect to this is that when the Nexus One comes out, and people realize that it really is just another phone, the sales could very well be disappointing for all the hype.
I guess time will tell, eh?

myriad46

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It may not make sense to us, but is it possible, in googles "development" oriented, over-the-top way of doing everything, they have created a phone that is only ever supposed to be for their employees to help develop Android? Expensive doesn't really matter to them. If it will help them put out a better product, I think they'd do it.

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
It may not make sense to us, but is it possible, in googles "development" oriented, over-the-top way of doing everything, they have created a phone that is only ever supposed to be for their employees to help develop Android? Expensive doesn't really matter to them. If it will help them put out a better product, I think they'd do it.

It could be. Maybe they just made it to have a high-end smart phone for employees to use to find out what ways they can take advantage of the new higher-end tech that is coming out to improve the overall OS.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It could be. Maybe they just made it to have a high-end smart phone for employees to use to find out what ways they can take advantage of the new higher-end tech that is coming out to improve the overall OS.

This seems to make the most sense to me. Google is by no means short on cash, and their cash reserves grow by the minute. I would not entirely put it past Google to have HTC develop a phone that is specifically meant for internal use in pushing the software and hardware to it's limits, and for testing out new versions of Android.

Genetic_Bloom

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Someone over at Engadget just posted this in a comment and it makes the most sense to me now that I think about it.

5. It is also, possible that Google could certify a certain category of phones from manufacturers as 'Nexus One" provided they meet its exacting software & hardware specifications and get the leverage of the Google brand.

It explains the Google trademark of Nexus One and not HTC, it explains why the Nexus One looks exactly like the HTC Passion because it's the first Nexus One device, it helps to explain what Google said about what they want their vision of Android to be because now manufacturers will strive to have their phones be "Nexus One certified" or whatever it could/might be, bringing their phones all in line together performance wise. It also helps to prevent Google from stepping on the toes of other manufactures and allows them to continue to develop Android and give it out to developers who are (or aren't and instead making their own skins such as sense or blur) making "Nexus One certified" which might replace the "Google Experience" devices in name. At least this seems more likely than Google selling it unsubsidized and to everyone. This is all if the phone ever makes it to consumers. Like Chris said earlier it's probably just another dev phone with extreme hype being generated by the blogs and Google employees tweeting and released pictures and vids of it.

Last edited:

barkerja

Aug 31, 2009
Visit site
Sadly, the side effect to this is that when the Nexus One comes out, and people realize that it really is just another phone, the sales could very well be disappointing for all the hype.
I guess time will tell, eh?

If only it was just another phone ... this thing is the fastest mobile phone to date and creates a new class in its market. This thing, coupled with Android 2.1 may make Android run as smooth as the iPhone if not better.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
This seems to make the most sense to me. Google is by no means short on cash, and their cash reserves grow by the minute. I would not entirely put it past Google to have HTC develop a phone that is specifically meant for internal use in pushing the software and hardware to it's limits, and for testing out new versions of Android.

Yes but there's something fishy about just giving it out to employees that they know will spread the word and then just having it as a demo phone. When RIM is testing a new blackberry, people know about it but the company is not trying to hype it until a release date is approaching. This is just seems like a blatant attempt to increase buzz and gossip

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
That could certainly be the case and I would not be unhappy if that was because the phone hardware is great compared the mytouch and if it releases with android 2.1 thats even better

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes but there's something fishy about just giving it out to employees that they know will spread the word and then just having it as a demo phone. When RIM is testing a new blackberry, people know about it but the company is not trying to hype it until a release date is approaching. This is just seems like a blatant attempt to increase buzz and gossip

Yes, it is phishy. However, who's to say it's not Googles attempt to draw attention to the platform itself, not the specific phone? In any means, it's certainly working.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, it is phishy. However, who's to say it's not Googles attempt to draw attention to the platform itself, not the specific phone? In any means, it's certainly working.

I understand what you're saying but then they really should have considered using a phone that has already launched to promote Android 2.1 instead of an unreleased to the U.S. phone with better than average specs. I think they're definitely hyping the phone for this one reason. If they really were trying to hype the platform they should have gone with the droid/hero/mytouch.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I understand what you're saying but then they really should have considered using a phone that has already launched to promote Android 2.1 instead of an unreleased to the U.S. phone with better than average specs. I think they're definitely hyping the phone for this one reason. If they really were trying to hype the platform they should have gone with the droid/hero/mytouch.

To each their own. I could see it being either way to be honest. Ahh, Google works in mysterious ways :D

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
They do need an updated developers phone, the last one was the HTC Magic and it's quickly becoming old hat. So why not order a specific developers phone from HTC like they have done twice in the past...and then let HTC run around selling it in Europe and the US under HTC branding like they have done twice in the past.

In fact why don't they even make a blog post telling everyone basically what the phone is and then lets all ignore it and run around coming up with outlandish ideas about a "Google Phone" like we have done twice in the past.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Most definitely, free food and subsidized massages and child care are enough for me no matter how much they earn. That would be awesome plus they get to demo the new htc passion, thats my dream job