The official "Where the hell is Gingerbread?" thread

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Seriously. You replace "Gingerbread" with "Froyo" and "2.3" with "2.2" and you have the exact same thread from 7 months ago.

Ah the old days. Now those were good times :)

kevykev

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You're too damn funny for words. Not intentionally so, but funny nonetheless.

Additionally, your calling anyone else "obsessive/compulsive" just made Carl Jung smile broadly. Nothing like a little projection from others to round off the evening.

I seriously hope you can find a way to sort yourself. From everything you've shown us here, it seems like you may be a borderline sociopath. It doesn't have to be that way for you. I think you may still have a chance to have a life that you don't hate. Good luck.

tom28

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I think this thread should just be closed now. For the last 4 pages its just kevykev and geokaplan going at it. Good job on ruining a thread

Reactions: JFetch

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
lol yes this is ridiculous
stop the arguing!

google needs to get this update stuff together
release all at once or not at all

i hate to say this but apple has a better update schedule
when they release it it comes in a timely manner and most devices get it(not one phone and not the other)
i guess its one advantage of having a closed wall environment for their devices

either google is purposely not releasing it or they just plain suck

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Neo,

It's neither; Google isn't purposely holding back the update nor do they suck. Well, OK that last one could be debatable by some :). The N1 update comes out when it's ready. Google never commits to a time schedule for these things. Froyo took awhile to get rolling, too, but no one seems to recall that. The OTA push to the N1 was something like 6 - 8 weeks behind the "announcement" and AOSP publishing dates.

Like I hinted at in my previous post, this thread and other "Where's Gingerbread" threads all have the exact tone, insults, and comments as the "Where's Froyo" threads from May and June 2010. Even down to the "iPhone is better at updates" and "I'm leaving for iPhone if Google doesn't push this now". It's just crazy how short some folk's memory is.

For persepctive:
I got my N1 in May of 2010. It has gotten 1 major update and 3 minor updates in those 7 months. My NS has already gotten one minor update, and looks like another one has been queued up.

Google's previous record for updates is not bad at all! It would be nice if they gave us hard fast dates, but they don't.

Last edited:

zm976311

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
lol yes this is ridiculous
stop the arguing!

google needs to get this update stuff together
release all at once or not at all

i hate to say this but apple has a better update schedule
when they release it it comes in a timely manner and most devices get it(not one phone and not the other)
i guess its one advantage of having a closed wall environment for their devices

either google is purposely not releasing it or they just plain suck
You can't compare Apple's updates to Googles... The updates/platforms are very very different. First off the platforms themselves are very different. You have said that Android is way more open than iOS, which is very much common knowledge, but we all already knew that's the reason they push out iOS updates so quickly.

Second, when Apple plans an update they only worry about three devices, only one which is used as a phone. iOS for Touch/iPad is different from iOS for iPhone.

Third, your point about some phones getting Android updates and some not is not Google's fault at all. Google directly pushes updates only to development phones (N1, NS). Otherwise, the phone's manufacturer is responsible for updating their phones. You can't blame Google when Galaxy S phones are just getting Froyo in the coming month or so. That's all on Samsung because the manufacturers don't want to put Vanilla Android on their phones. They for some reason need to skin it and "make it their own".

My thinking is that since it's been widely reported that there are flaws and bugs and whatnot in the version of Gingerbread on the Nexus S Google is now in perfection mode. They will not release another Gingerbread build before there are no obvious bugs. For non-development phones my point is if the Motos and Samsungs of the Android world didn't feel the need to skin and add the Media Hub to Android then all devices would get updates pretty closely time-wise to one another.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Just to add a bit more to Burton's comments:

The reason for the disparity between the release of an Android version and it showing up on the Nexus phones is due to the customizations needed. [Yes I know it's stock Andorid, but there are still some custom tweaks done plus additional drivers and software added. See my last paragraph]. While I'd imagine Android is developed and tested on the Nexus phones; what they seem to do is release the "base" Android and get that to 100%.

After it's released, they go back and update, test, and re-certify the apps that are on the Nexus phones.

Think about it: if you look at the Emulator in the Android development tools, it's very basic; it doesn't even have the "cube" scroll list in the apps drawer. So I think the process is, release the base OS to the public domain, then re-test, modify, etc the base OS to work on the Nexus production phones.

The Nexus S was released when Android 2.3 was released, and so seems it didn't get the full vetting it normally would. While I wouldn't call it "buggy" (I have one, BTW), it does have a few bugs in there that Google probably doesn't want to have show up on the N1.

Last edited:

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Neo,

Froyo took awhile to get rolling, too, but no one seems to recall that. The OTA push to the N1 was something like 6 - 8 weeks behind the "announcement" and AOSP publishing dates.

Absolutely right, and something that most N1 owners don't know or don't recall. I suspect quite a few bought their N1 either just before the 2.2 update was pushed out or even afterwards. The time spent waiting was negligible, which seems to make the waiting this time seem interminable.

And yes, I think 2.3 was pushed out the door when it wasn't fully cooked. I have spoken with a few NS owners and they report some unfortunate behavior in Gingerbread. Since the NS had been leaked at Web 2.0 a month earlier (and Schmidt had committed to the one month time frame for release) and since BestBuy had a dog in this fight as well regarding pre-print promotional mailers, the phone was going to come out 12/16, no matter what.

There is no need to replicate those trouble for N1 owners for the sake of pushing out an update quickly, and it should be apparent by now how whiny some in this extended community can be about anything which displeases them--there would seem to be less pain for Google in being careful in the release than in pushing out a buggy release faster. No sense in risking bricking some phones.

Reactions: font1975

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR