Dual-Mode Google Phone coming later! CDMA/GSM/HSPA capable!

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm waiting for this one to get a google phone...

From the Google announcement (reported on http://live.slashgear.com/ ):

Q. How are you differentiating between Superphones and Smartphones? Will the Verizon Nexus One have CDMA and GSM, or just CDMA?

A. Difference is evolution of platform: openness together with marketplaces and app stores. Processor speed, “gigabyte storage” that didn’t exist a few years ago. “This is as powerful as your laptop was 4yrs ago – you’re carrying it in your pocket and it’s always on”.
Some of the subsequent phones will be dual-mode for global roaming between CDMA/GSM/HSPA

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is no one else excited about this?

I think that this sounds like a great phone, and it's cool to see Google doing what Apple should have done with the iPhone - offer it directly, with deals for any carriers interested in subsidizing it.

I would have been more excited if this came several months earlier. Since I just upgraded to an Eris and signed on to a new two year contract, I'll start getting more excited in about 19 months, when I can upgrade my phone at a subsidized price.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I doubt the nexus with the dual capabilities will be out until much later. A dual mode phone like that will only be useful for Verizon customers who travel to Europe anyway

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea you prob would not be able to just pop an att sim card into the phone and be able to have an att account and vzw account (not that you'd want to anyway).

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
It would be great if that were possible though. The MVNO that manages to get decent smartphones that utilize both GSM and CDMA bands to achieve perfect talk and web coverage will bring in buckets of money

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I wonder - while google said during the presentation that they would be doing a phone that was capableof all three, if it takes long enough they might skip CDMA altogether and go straight to 4G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36