Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New to a Nexus One and the Android OS...How will I know Gingerbread is available?

I'm unsure on how my phone will receive the Gingerbread update, whenever that may be. I recently switched from an iPhone 4 (very glad I did), and am trying to learn about the Android OS and how updates occur.

I'm with AT&T, and when I switched from the iPhone to the N1 all I did was switch SIM cards and I was good to go. Do I need to do anything else to insure I'm on the "list" to get updates? I'm assuming the update comes straight from Google, if so how in the heck do they know I have a N1? Does the update come OTA via a wireless broadband connection, or through AT&T's 3G data service? TIA for answering my elementary questions.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

The best way to know as soon as the update drops is on AC. If it doesn't get pushed to you, you will be able to check for it manually. If that doesn't work, I'm sure the update will be posted for download.
    Thanked by:

The internet will explode...
    Seriously, you will know because all the Android sites will be buzzing...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

LOL so true, it will be posted like EVERYWHERE! Then we'll all be checking manually for updates every hour or installing it manually as soon as it is available!

ROM
    CM9 Beta

If you're already rooted, follow cyanogen on twitter. CyanogenMod v7 (based on Gingerbread AOSP) should have nightly builds available in the next few days.