Nexus One syncing with Outlook

Kaizmuth

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I know the Droid won't natively sync with Outlook, but I've heard that the Droid Eris, which has the HTC SenseUI, will sync natively through the USB Cable.

Since the Nexus One is by HTC, will it sync with Outlook through the USB cable as well?

How can Google, which guides the Android UI, overlook native Outlook sync'ing, which is used by 90% of business people in the US? I know they want to take over the world and make them use Google services (Gmail, Wave, etc), but aren't they shooting themselves in the foot here? As well as those of us who use Outlook?

Tennessee

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what you mean "natively" Out of the box I was able to sync my Outlook account (exchange server) with my Droid to include all contacts and Calendars.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I know the Droid won't natively sync with Outlook, but I've heard that the Droid Eris, which has the HTC SenseUI, will sync natively through the USB Cable.

Since the Nexus One is by HTC, will it sync with Outlook through the USB cable as well?

How can Google, which guides the Android UI, overlook native Outlook sync'ing, which is used by 90% of business people in the US? I know they want to take over the world and make them use Google services (Gmail, Wave, etc), but aren't they shooting themselves in the foot here? As well as those of us who use Outlook?
Why would Google concern itself with sync abilities with a competitor's product? They allow use of their "Cloud" and want you to use that. :(

bkuester: It will sync with an exchange server, but many of us just have it on our personal computers and don't run it on an exchange server.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
It syncs..kinda.... You just have to export a file of all of your contacts and calenders. then you can import it to Gmail and from there its cake... Pissed me off at first, but its not that difficult to get it done. Everyone needs to stop crying over some spilled milk here... Its the worst when your coming from a Berry... Because you have to do twice as much.. But once its done, its done..

Kaizmuth

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, it's done for past items, but I do 90% of my calendaring in Outlook. I'm not going to manually export it every time I want to update my phone.

I did a bunch of updates in Gmail Calendar this evening. Checked 1/2 hour later, and all my updates were gone. That sucked. Killed almost an hours worth of effort. No idea why the updates didn't take, but they didn't. That doesn't give me a lot of faith in the google calendar.

Now that the updates finally took, they still haven't replicated to my phone over 3 hours later. So much for 'the cloud'.

Clcto

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
From the Android Market download CL USB Sync on the Nexus. On your PC go to this web page: USB sync Android phones with Outlook, Lotus Notes, GroupWise, ACT!, and Palm Desktop

This will get you two-way Outlook sync for Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Memos to the Nexus One (and all other Android phones like Droid and Droid Eris).

Currently Calendar, Tasks and Memos are custom apps which provide Treo-like features.

CompanionLink products are free to try for 14 days or just to import the data. If you like and wish to continue synchronizing the cost is $39.95 for Outlook and Palm Desktop sync, $49.95 for CRM tools like ACT! and Lotus Notes sync. Telephone and email technical support are free.

We have Nexus inhouse and have verified the software works GREAT on this GREAT new phone.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
Sync CRM and PIM data with iPhone, BlackBerry, Palm Pre, Google, Windows Mobile, and Palm OS - CompanionLink Software

pseyler

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you, too. It's just another example of the phone not seeming to be "finished" yet. CompanionLink is a big improvement (as far as it goes), but it's far from seamless. Can the "treo-like" calendar and task apps be searched by the Native search application? If I've updated one person's e-mail address in Outlook, what steps do I have to perform to access it on the phone?

Touchdown is in the same boat. It will sync your contacts with Exchange, but if you want to actually *call* one of those people (heavens forbid!) then you have to manually tell it to copy your Touchdown contacts to the native phone contacts app. Ditto if you want your car to place a car. No one at Touchdown could tell me if it's properly integrated with the google search function, either.

TheMissingSync only says that tasks, calendars and notes are "future capabilities".

What am I missing that makes this so difficult? Can't one of you lovely companies write an app that does what ActiveSync could do in 2004 on phones with a fraction of the horsepower?

SpeedVX

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I've also been pining for a solid USB syncing solution so I can get myself off the cloud. I'm glad Missing Sync and CompanionLink have been working on solutions and when they get a little more full-featured (ie Missing Sync actually can do Calendar and Tasks and CL's apps mature a bit) I'll definitely be checking them out.

If you want a solution now, you could try gSyncit. It offers a lot of options for syncing Outlook to Google (Calendar and Contacts are handled very well) and then the cloud should push everything to your phone.

http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/index.shtml

iVantheiPhone

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
try Soocial

I currently use Soocial (yes that is how you spell it) to sync the contacts for free. I then use Google's calendar sync to sync the calendar (duh).

I have also tried GoContact sync. Also free.

d1pham

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If your ultimate aim is to get your Outlook calendar on your nexus, you can just use google sync to sync up your outlook with your google calendar, which is readily available on your nexus....

This is what I do and I works just fine. The client application is installed on your desktop and constantly updates your Outlook calendar to Google. Once your information is in the cloud it is pushed down to your phone.

jaburgoa

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
use google calendar sync in windows...

download google calendar sync for windows.
i have downloaded and installed on my windows vista machine which has my work calendar schedule, and then i force it to push my outlook events to google calendar. then those items get sync over the aire to your N1.
the con is that you need the computer with outlook on to synch it.

mo-bile#AC

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
download google calendar sync for windows.
i have downloaded and installed on my windows vista machine which has my work calendar schedule, and then i force it to push my outlook events to google calendar. then those items get sync over the aire to your N1.
the con is that you need the computer with outlook on to synch it.

Seems like a good solution. For me, the only time it wouldn't sync is if I get calendar invites in the evening or on weekends. But does it work if the computer is sleeping?

Also, if you recieve a meeting invite, and you've setup exchange email, can you accept or decline from the phone?

Last edited:

Natesiy

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I use Gsyncit as well and its been working OK for me so far. Its not perfect, but allows me to update via outlook and transfer it t the cloud, then from the cloud to my phone. I've lost a few appointments in the past but the updates keep coming and with a few setting adjustments, its been working well now.