Loss of 3G with T-Mobile Service

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
The biggest issue I've heard of so far is on T-Mobile's service you lose 3G service and it sticks on EDGE. This seems to be a major issue with HTC devices as of late with the Touch Pro 2 and Droid Eris also having the same issue. Or it could be related to T-Mobile directly... not sure. Anyone else have this issue?

H_D

Mar 2, 2009
Visit site
I've been reading about this issue in numerous forums also.
I'll just wait for the VZW version.

ircactus

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Without going too far off the deep end on this, I do have some deversity of devices at my disposal. Here's what I find so far. (Mind you. This is in the charlotte, nc metro area and within 20 miles eitherway at this point).

T-Mobile Devices ( Nexus One and MT3G)
Neither seems to hold 3g for any period of time. The calls are solid and coverage for the basic system ie. phone works great. Data on the other hand is spotty on both devices switching between edge and 3g (and of course in some areas just looking at you a bit funny going... Really? you expect me to work here.. :) .

Verizon (Moto Droid)
Unless you get to the outskirts of a populated area, the device shines. Although I have poor signal at the office, at home with all devices I have 5 bars at all times.

It's kinda hard to pin down the T-mobile thing as both phones I have are HTC. Maybe I'll try getting ahold of a blackberry from someone at the office and see what if anything that does compared.

As per the phone itself, I've been very satisfied. Mind you, I generally use wifi at all times except the drive home and well, don't do much usage of the data side while driving :) .

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Without going too far off the deep end on this, I do have some deversity of devices at my disposal. Here's what I find so far. (Mind you. This is in the charlotte, nc metro area and within 20 miles eitherway at this point).

T-Mobile Devices ( Nexus One and MT3G)
Neither seems to hold 3g for any period of time. The calls are solid and coverage for the basic system ie. phone works great. Data on the other hand is spotty on both devices switching between edge and 3g (and of course in some areas just looking at you a bit funny going... Really? you expect me to work here.. :) .

Verizon (Moto Droid)
Unless you get to the outskirts of a populated area, the device shines. Although I have poor signal at the office, at home with all devices I have 5 bars at all times.

It's kinda hard to pin down the T-mobile thing as both phones I have are HTC. Maybe I'll try getting ahold of a blackberry from someone at the office and see what if anything that does compared.

As per the phone itself, I've been very satisfied. Mind you, I generally use wifi at all times except the drive home and well, don't do much usage of the data side while driving :) .

The only reason I say it may be HTC related is there have been a lot of people with the same issue with the Touch Pro 2 on Verizon. If it is a HTC issue watch out if you buy this device on Verizon. I hope it's fixed by then...

ircactus

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
The only reason I say it may be HTC related is there have been a lot of people with the same issue with the Touch Pro 2 on Verizon. If it is a HTC issue watch out if you buy this device on Verizon. I hope it's fixed by then...

Just spoke with a friend who has an htc eris on "alltel". 1st off. yes it works and 2nd. he's seeing similar problems with the eris loosing 3g and then not getting it back for a while. The thing goes off net completely (minus the phone). Very odd.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Just spoke with a friend who has an htc eris on "alltel". 1st off. yes it works and 2nd. he's seeing similar problems with the eris loosing 3g and then not getting it back for a while. The thing goes off net completely (minus the phone). Very odd.

Like I initially thought, it seems to be a HTC issue and certain devices of theirs.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Like I initially thought, it seems to be a HTC issue and certain devices of theirs.

Thats not necessarily true, my BB 9700 (when I used to have it) would often switch between 3G and EDGE even though I knew that there was 3G coverage in the area and that it didn't have to waver between the two. However, when I used to have a MT3G that phone almost always stayed on 3G except when I left the home for work or college. Personally, I think its a combination of both the manufacturer and the carrier because lets face it, Tmobile is no Verizon. I'm not going to take some of the blame off of Tmobile until their network is as expanded as Verizon's is.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Somehow this doesn't surprise me. When I had the Touch Pro 2 - on Verizon - it would constantly get stuck on, or revert to 1x, in areas where there was clearly a strong 3G signal. It was an extremely frustrating issue that 88% of the users at this forum reported having. In my research of this problem, I found that the Eris, Ozone, and TP2 were all having similar issues. I'm convinced HTC is using a faulty radio vendor.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Somehow this doesn't surprise me. When I had the Touch Pro 2 - on Verizon - it would constantly get stuck on, or revert to 1x, in areas where there was clearly a strong 3G signal. It was an extremely frustrating issue that 88% of the users at this forum reported having. In my research of this problem, I found that the Eris, Ozone, and TP2 were all having similar issues. I'm convinced HTC is using a faulty radio vendor.

Wow, we agree on something! :p

beaker#AC

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site

I'm not so sure that this is an HTC problem and not as issue with the carrier. This is a known problem for some Blackberry users as well, so that would seem to indicate that it isn't totally isolated to HTC. In any case, I don't think that the anecdotal information from users of some HTC phones would rule out an issue with the carrier.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
According to what I have been hearing now it is indeed a HTC software or antenna issue and not a T-Mobile issue.

Possibly related to other HTC device issues... maybe... ;)

I'm also hearing that they are pushing out an update Monday. Take that with a grain of salt though.

*Also got this from T-Mobile*
Google and T-Mobile are investigating this issue and hope to have more information for you soon. We understand your concern and appreciate your patience.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Another update - people using the Nexus One in the UK are also have issues with their device going back and forth between 3G and edge constantly. Just more proof of it being a device issue.

lstrike

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
My N900 sitting right next to my Nexus is fully lit with 3g and 3.5g plus 5 bars. The Nexus jumps between edge, 3g and no signal. Its not TMobile. I hope it is software. Both my G1 and MyTouch had solid 3g.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm just glad that they're investigating it or at least that they said they're investigating it. Now we have more reason to complain and rant if nothing gets done :p