Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.1

Does anyone know how the update is even applied? I read something about serial numbers? I have a hunch its applied regionally because I live on the east coast and I always seem to get the update after everyone else. FYI I bought the phone the second day after it came out so its not because I was one of the last people to buy it.
    Siemens CF62T> Samsung T329 Stripe Black> MyTouch 3G Black (Android 1.6 Donut)> Blackberry Bold 9700 (5.0.0.330)> Samsung T219 Brown (backup crap dumbphone)> Google/HTC Nexus One (CM7.2)> Google/LG Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.2)
    Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!

Unhappy

I'm east coast too and I havent got it yet either.

Hebrews 13:8

Quote Originally Posted by TaeKwonDonkey View Post
    Does anyone know how the update is even applied? I read something about serial numbers?
    It really seems to be somewhat random. Probably based on the IMEI numbers, but I don't think it's anything to do with where you are at.

My wife and I got our NS's at the same time. The updates never show up together. Sometimes, it will be a few hours apart, other times, it's been almost a week apart.

Default Do it your self

How about do it manually?

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-ma...23-gingerbread

I did it and works great!

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.1

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    How about do it manually?
    I can't because I left my usb connection cable at home and I'm at college right now. Besides, I hate updating manually, I did it for Froyo and thought I almost messed up my phone.
    Siemens CF62T> Samsung T329 Stripe Black> MyTouch 3G Black (Android 1.6 Donut)> Blackberry Bold 9700 (5.0.0.330)> Samsung T219 Brown (backup crap dumbphone)> Google/HTC Nexus One (CM7.2)> Google/LG Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.2)

manual update went smooth. No problems at all. GRI40 up and running.

FWIW, I got the notification overnight/early this AM. Ran the upgrade, which took a while to download and about 10-15 min to install (I was not paying attention).

So far so good. The screen swipe (to change screens) seems much snappier--almost iPhone/iPad like. Frankly, that is one feature of the iDevice that has always been better. But gingerbread improves this significantly.

I love the old-style tube TV shut off when you shut off the screen.

So that is my reaction after about an hour. So far so good . . .

I did notice that the update broke Google Voice.

aviduser
    1995-Newton Message Pad 2000 | 1998-Palm V | 1999-Palm V8 (upgrade) | 2000-Palm m505 | 2001-Palm m515 | 2003-Kyocera 7135 | 2004-Treo 600 (woc) | 2006-Treo 700p (wc) | 2007-Treo 680 (wc) | 2008-Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked) | 2010-Google Nexus One | 2011-NookColor (hacked) | 2012-Galaxy Nexus | 2012-Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 wifi | 2014-Nexus 5

Downloading the OTA now. The file size is like 45 megs, which is tough when you don't have 3g or even Edge at home.

Edit: After going through all that, it didn't install the update. It just restarted and I'm still stuck with 2.2.2 Also, my phone froze and I had to pull the battery afterwards. What do I do?

Global Posts
    456 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JFetch View Post
    Downloading the OTA now. The file size is like 45 megs, which is tough when you don't have 3g or even Edge at home.

Edit: After going through all that, it didn't install the update. It just restarted and I'm still stuck with 2.2.2 Also, my phone froze and I had to pull the battery afterwards. What do I do?
    The easiest thing is to do a manual update. It's the same update file, but you put on the SD card yourself and follow the procedure. Took my phone about 5 - 10 mins to do the full update.

How to manually update your Nexus One to Android 2.3 Gingerbread | Android Central

Kage_
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

My update arrived late last night, but I left it alone until this morning. I plugged the phone into the charger, began the download and went to feed the livestock. I don't know how long the download took, but when I returned to the phone (maybe 20 min later) it was completed and ready for the install.

That went off without a hitch.

As for Gingerbread...I still predict a lot of folks will be disappointed, especially those who were apoplectic over the delayed rollout to the N1.

Folks, it is really nothing. There is better battery life, there is copy and paste, the system might be a little faster. That's it. The "new" UI touch of having a black menu bar is downright ugly.

I don't have NFC, I already use (and like) Swiftkey, I don't have a large display screen. This is the very definition of a minor update, and it was comical seeing folks get in an uproar over something so inconsequential.

Now, Ice Cream Sandwich--that's another deal. This is supposed to be the merger of Gingerbread and Honeycomb, and if it means a better-looking UI, I'm all for that. The guy from WebOS is now in charge and there is a chance we'll get a much nicer interface that what we're stuck with for now.

I went ahead and did the manual update. I really don't like the green and black menu bar. It's like taking 3 steps backward in UI design.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JFetch View Post
    I went ahead and did the manual update. I really don't like the green and black menu bar. It's like taking 3 steps backward in UI design.
    Aside from (possible) increased battery life, do you find anything added in Gingerbread which enhances your N1? I just discovered it pushed a "Books" app onto the phone, which I don't need (I have the Kindle app already) and can't remove.

I got the OTA last night and my N1 says "2.3.3"

Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.1

Quote Originally Posted by ScotterMonkey View Post
    I got the OTA last night and my N1 says "2.3.3"
    That means you're on Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread for Nexus One now. Currently only you, other Nexus phone users, people running prototype phones, and people running CM7 have Gingerbread. Its an exclusive club that will soon grow.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123