A word of warning about 100% brightness

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I realize most of you are smart enough not to run your Nexus at 100% brightness, unfortunately, I am not.:)

I navigated to google's home page last night and was inspecting the screen against the white background and noticed what appeared to be a ghosting bar on the left side of the screen. At first I couldn't figure out what it was but then I switched to portrait and the bar matched exactly to the notification bar at the top of the screen(in portrait).

It appears to be burn-in. In fact, I'm 99% sure it's burn in. It's possible it's image retention but I seriously doubt it as the bar is slightly less bright than the rest of the screen. If it were image retention I would expect the bar to be brighter than the rest of the screen.

I've got some experience with this since I'm heavily in to home theater and picture quality, and pretty much know what burn-in looks like.

It's not easy to see unless you go looking for it, that's just the way I am with screens. My issue is that if this is happening in only a month, even at 100% brightness, then care should be taken with certain static images, such as some clocks, etc.., and care should be taken regarding screen brightness.

I'm not used to a screen that has this low of a brightness half-life, which if this is burn-in, the Nexus OLED screen certainly does have an iffy brightness half-life.

Just to be clear: I love my Nexus.... I just want to warn people not to abuse their screen the way I have. LCD can take it, not so sure about OLED. And make no mistake, running it at 100% brightness is abuse. Just being a mobile device I figured by the time I ever noticed burn-in that I would be close to getting a new device.

I'm now running 50% brightness and will post back if this bar fades or changes in some way. If anyone has questions about what I'm seeing I'll be happy to answer as well.

Last edited:
G

GenericMessage

Its more than likely the active matrix in it, since it isn't oled its amoled.

OLED's really don't have "burn in" since there isn't really anything to "burn."

But yes, I do caution people with over-white-saturation. You will notice this on the same way that some CRT's do it, by "ghosting" or a yellowing or browning of a spot.

***edit***
I forgot to mention it really SHOULD NOT be doing this. I would take it in to get it checked.

Its a pity the OLED wasnt used in any devices like this, but its still too darn expensive.

And before any of the trolls come out and start saying "well i researched wiki and you're wrong and blah blah blah."

I actually work for the company (on the OLED dev team) who invented and sells OLED to all current makes of said devices. So please spare me your paltry remarks.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
It's not anywhere near bad enough to send it back over(yet(. You have to look for it, but it is there, on my device.

I just wanted to give folks a heads up so they are more careful than I have been. Now, if this bar were to continue to get worse, even at 50% brightness, then I'll have an issue. I'm hoping I caught it in time to prevent it from becoming visible under normal conditions(non white screen)

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Its more than likely the active matrix in it, since it isn't oled its amoled.

OLED's really don't have "burn in" since there isn't really anything to "burn."

But yes, I do caution people with over-white-saturation. You will notice this on the same way that some CRT's do it, by "ghosting" or a yellowing or browning of a spot.

Its a pity the OLED wasnt used in any devices like this, but its still too darn expensive.

And before any of the trolls come out and start saying "well i researched wiki and you're wrong and blah blah blah."

I actually work for the company (on the OLED dev team) who invented and sells OLED to all current makes of said devices. So please spare me your paltry remarks.
Thanks for your post.

So what is your prognosis? Do you think this will fade or not be an issue if I keep the brightness closer to 50%?

Not sure what you mean by the active matrix? Do you thin k this is burn-in or something that will resolve over time?

Thanks!

G

GenericMessage

Thanks for your post.

So what is your prognosis? Do you think this will fade or not be an issue if I keep the brightness closer to 50%?

Not sure what you mean by the active matrix? Do you thin k this is burn-in or something that will resolve over time?

Thanks!

What I am saying is that burn in really should not be happening.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
What I am saying is that burn in really should not be happening.
Well I agree with that, at least after only a month, even at 100% brightness.

It all depends on the half life of this display though. If it has a shorter than average half life then it wouldn't be all that surprising.

After playing some more I cannot find any issue besides the one notification bar, and that bar is like the one thing that is almost always constant, so I can see why it hit there first. May very well be that is the only place it happens given nothing else stays on the screen so much.

G

GenericMessage

Well I agree with that, at least after only a month, even at 100% brightness.

It all depends on the half life of this display though. If it has a shorter than average half life then it wouldn't be all that surprising.

After playing some more I cannot find any issue besides the one notification bar, and that bar is like the one thing that is almost always constant, so I can see why it hit there first. May very well be that is the only place it happens given nothing else stays on the screen so much.

Well we built OLED to kinda be the ultimate display/material. But i've never had a report of burn in regarding it. It COULD be the active matrix portion of it, but i doubt it. If it persists, call up google and harp on them.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Well we built OLED to kinda be the ultimate display/material. But i've never had a report of burn in regarding it. It COULD be the active matrix portion of it, but i doubt it. If it persists, call up google and harp on them.
Again, I appreciate your post. Nice to have someone who knows about this stuff.:)

I hang out at AVSforum a lot and I can remember back when folks said that LCD didn't burn-in, until some folks showed up with burn in, including an administrator there, so I know anything is possible.

I really hate to call Google or HTC about this issue, as I genuinely feel I abused the screen. I never should have kept it at 100% brightness. I know better than that, no matter the screen type. Like I said I just figured I'd have a new device before it became an issue. Turns out I may have been abusing it more than I thought. You have to remember, not only have I been running at 100% but I've also been playing with it constantly since I just got it. That's a bad combo.

Anyway I'll report back with any changes, and thanks again for your time.:)

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
One other thing that should have clued me in: the clock moves around the screen when in the dock. The only reason they would have designed it that way is to prevent burn-in....I have to admit it occurred to me yet I continued to run at 100%

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
This is interesting and it should not be happening. I mean they allow the device to go that bright and if every single N1 over a short period of time did this, HTC/Google would have major issues. I'd exchange it if I were you.

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting and it should not be happening. I mean they allow the device to go that bright and if every single N1 over a short period of time did this, HTC/Google would have major issues. I'd exchange it if I were you.
Right now, I can't help but be inclined to keep it. I'm afraid I'll just end up with a refurb with some other issue.

Either one of two things will happen I figure: it will become a widespread issue, in which case a new one won't do any good. Or, mine is an isolated issue related to abusing the screen and there won't be any more reports, in which case it's my own fault.

Truth is, at the very least I should have waited for this screen to "break-in" some. I could have run it at a lower brightness so as to get past the initial drop in brightness most displays will suffer in the first hours. For instance, with older gen plasma's, it's accepted practice to run the brightness way down the first 100 hours so as to get past that initial drop off in brightness with the screen still uniform, and then from that point you can be more adventurous with less of a risk of VISIBLE burn-in.

Ultimately, it's going to depend on how bad this gets from this point forward. If it gets bad enough I'll make a warranty claim.

I do agree with you about the absolute brightness that HTC/Google allows. If it's allowed, it should be safe one would think.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Right now, I can't help but be inclined to keep it. I'm afraid I'll just end up with a refurb with some other issue.

Either one of two things will happen I figure: it will become a widespread issue, in which case a new one won't do any good. Or, mine is an isolated issue related to abusing the screen and there won't be any more reports, in which case it's my own fault.

Truth is, at the very least I should have waited for this screen to "break-in" some. I could have run it at a lower brightness so as to get past the initial drop in brightness most displays will suffer in the first hours. For instance, with older gen plasma's, it's accepted practice to run the brightness way down the first 100 hours so as to get past that initial drop off in brightness with the screen still uniform, and then from that point you can be more adventurous with less of a risk of VISIBLE burn-in.

Ultimately, it's going to depend on how bad this gets from this point forward. If it gets bad enough I'll make a warranty claim.

I do agree with you about the absolute brightness that HTC/Google allows. If it's allowed, it should be safe one would think.

This is the first I've heard of this happening. Keep us informed.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
it is a little known fact that LCD can actually burn in. it takes hundreds if not thousands of hours and has only really been linked to certain panels. i am not quite sure about AMOLED screens as they are new and i am unfamiliar with the technology. it sounds like an overlook on HTC and Googles part if that is the case. i personally dont think that is the case. i find it very hard to believe that A: AMOLED is easily susceptible to burn in B: that portable device manufacturers would use a technology that is susceptible to burn in. then again it wouldnt be the first time consumers have been used as the test dummies. you might have a bad or damaged device or we could all be screwed.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the consensus:
1. If it is a problem running 100% brightness with the technology, the manual should warn against it. So don't blame yourself - especially don't take this tack if you end up going for a replacement.
2. The amoled technology doesn't appear to lend itself to burn-in, so having it this soon, even if it is possible after some gazillion cycles, isn't correct. I've not read about the technology or backlighting, so maybe this is out in left field, but wonder what would happen if you left if off for 24 hours....
I'll be watching this thread for sure!
ADS

evilp8ntballer7#AC

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
With the screen turned up 100% it does seem to kill the battery alot faster, I know that would happen but I thought the screen technology was so much better and use less battery, still seems like a 1 day phone

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
With the screen turned up 100% it does seem to kill the battery alot faster, I know that would happen but I thought the screen technology was so much better and use less battery, still seems like a 1 day phone

Like it or not, most smartphones are "one day phones." Battery technology has fallen way behind the advances in processors and displays (or, processors and displays have oupaced batteries - take your pick).

As for the original topic, it seems to me, if you have to break the display in, this should be well documented and in fact, part of the introductory screens when you first powr on your new N1. It isn't. If the screen for some reason were to be "less viable" at 100% brightness, the responsibility to limit this capability should fall to the manufacturer.

In any case, this would be quite worrisome if more people started reporting it; if it's an isolated incident, then basically it just sucks for the OP. I have to think they would replace it if it's a one off (or even if it's not a one-off). On the other hand, I recognize that there have been some horror stories about exchanges posted. My hope is that's a result of the normal phenomena where people with an issue make the noise, while a 'silent majority' were satisfied with their exchange process.

Just how noticeable is it, anyhow? Can you post a pic perhaps?

Air Force One

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys:

No, taking a pic isn't possible, it's simply not bad enough to show in a picture.

As far as how noticeable it is to the naked eye, if you're not looking for it, you cannot see it. Just looking at the screen and trying to see it with peripheral vision does not work, you have to look at the bar, and then you can notice it. Hope that makes sense.

At this point I have no doubt that's it's burn in(uneven screen wear). It's clearly less bright than the rest of the screen, if only slightly.

The funny thing is that since noticing this and turning the brightness down, I can't believe I had it at 100%. I've been keeping it at 33% brightness and it's plenty bright enough and pushing it back to 100% seems HELLA bright. IMO, 100% should be only used in the outdoors etc.., and then turned back down.

In a perfect world 1000% would be safe but I'm warning you guys that , imo, this screen will show uneven wear at some point if you're not careful.

Anyway, I've been trying some methods of "scrubbing" the screen with different content in an attempt to get the screen more evenly worn but I have not noticed any changes. No worse, no better. There is a theme in the market called slidescreen which has an option to get rid of the notification bar so Ive been using that to keep that notification bar off the screen as much as possible. Between that and the Dolphin browser option to hide the notification bar I've been able to keep it off there more than usual.

If I overlooked any questions just hit me up or if you have more questions just shoot.:)

Other than this issue I'm still happy with the device but when I get my AT&T 3G version I will be treating the screen with more care. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad