1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any Reason to wait for AT&T 3G version of Nexus One if not planning to add data plan?

My next phone is going to be a Nexus One and have already made up my mind! Now I was just going to buy the Unlocked version that is currently available and use it on AT&T. I am fully aware that 3G will not work. Then I read up on it and looks like a 3G ready Nexus One for AT&T will be coming up in the next months. If I buy the current version, I'd probably skip the data plan for sure since I can't get the $15 plan anymore and have to pay $30 for Edge, which is just stupid. If I wait for the 3G AT&T Version, then I might consider a plan or might not.

My questions are, 1) If I am not planning to add a data plan (data is totally blocked on my line right now), is there any reason to wait for the AT&T 3G Nexus One?

2) Will the phone being in the 3G network improve the signal/reception and voice quality on Calls on 3G vs if I were to buy one know that is on 2G or 2.5G????

Well, I suppose you can use the WiFi on the phone to use the net and what not.

I would wait for the 3G one though, idk where you live, but I would assume it would be less dropped calls and call quality.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I live in NYC, many say that the phone that is coming to AT&T might not be the Nexus One...

its not. its gonna be the HTC Desire. alost the same exact specs as the n1 but with htc's sense UI.
    coming in may or june this year.
    ads

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ICS

3G is mostly the width of the data pipe, the only thing that would make for better calls (with currently deployed technology/existing phones) is additional towers. 3G data takes back end server technology (for GSM, probably CDMA but I'm less familiar there) that gets rolled out. So if you look at AT&T's data versus voice coverage, 3G is a subset; this is verified by folks talking about their dropping to edge/loss of 3G coverage - voice remains constant for either.
    Your best bet to see what's most likely real is to watch FCC applications, as devices have to be certified. Do a search on this sites front page for "Nexus AT&T FCC". AT&T N1 appears to be going thru cert, so pretty likely, when is another question.
    But now that AT&T has announce an Android phone and cracked the Android egg, others will come. Maybe it's the rumored "Desire" if AT&T can't work out the business support model Google likes, but they'll have something along the lines of N1 or Desire, if not one of them, by early summer.
    ADS
    Last edited by ads; 02-24-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: redoubleduplication wording!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

are there any Nexus One users under AT&T right now around the NYC area that can comment on phone reception/coverage and call quality, etc?

thanks

I also want to throw in there that you can add the data back onto your plan for cheaper than $30. If you call and say you want the data on your plan and you're just using a regular phone, then they will give you data for a dumbphone price, and then they can't force you to change it when you buy a Nexus One, since you're buying it under contract with them. I pay $20 a month for my data, because that's what I had before I bought my Nexus. So, if you decide to do that, you then have two choices: Is it worth it to get an unlocked Nexus and pay $20 (I have a friend who managed to catch a deal and only pays $15) for data on 2G? Or is it worth it to wait for the AT&T version, get 3G data, and pay the price? From my experience, the phone is fast enough to make up for what it lacks in 3G - I still get my emails just as fast, facebook and twitter load fast, and so does Google Maps. I have not had one problem - it is an amazing phone!
    @Jennabailey0706
    "If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart!"

Global Posts
    4,264 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by justsomarvelous View Post
    are there any Nexus One users under AT&T right now around the NYC area that can comment on phone reception/coverage and call quality, etc?

thanks
    I live in the NYC metropolitan area and I'm on AT&T. Call quality and service are great. I always have five bars with no service issues. Of course EDGE is slow but almost everywhere i go there is public wifi or optomumwifi wifi which works better than any 3G netwwork. I hope an AT&T Nexus One is released because it would be nice to have 3G. I hope the rumored device is not the Desire because I'd rather have a phone directly supported by Google and not have to wait on my carrier to approve an update as were seeing with the Droid.