Good N1 replacement options

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi Yall,

Has anyone found a good update to the N1 w/o all the carrier crap. Basically an updated N1 that isn't carrier locked and allows me to do what ever I want. I currently have an N1 ATT model. It's working well, but I'm just looking at the new toys coming out.

Kage_

Frag x 3

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Nexus S is available from Negri Electronics for $598.50 with AT&T bands. I've dealt with them a couple times, including returning one defective model, and it wasn't a terrible process. I'd recommend them.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went with the ThunderBolt. Certainly not Vanilla (Sense IU), but definitely enjoyable. I can't seem to part with my Nexus One tho. :(

kuri

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm still pretty content with the N1 and will probably try and be patient for something from HTC that'll raise my eyebrow.

The TB is very nice though...

Is it too much to ask for a N3 made by HTC?=)

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm still pretty content with the N1 and will probably try and be patient for something from HTC that'll raise my eyebrow.

The TB is very nice though...

Is it too much to ask for a N3 made by HTC?=)

But what about the lcd? We need samsungs displays

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went with the ThunderBolt. Certainly not Vanilla (Sense IU), but definitely enjoyable. I can't seem to part with my Nexus One tho. :(

how is the battery life of that thunderbolt compared to your nexus one? for example if you leave the phone idle over night for 8 hours, how much percent will drop? or if you leave the phone off at your desk for an our, how much will it lose? and how about screen on time?

keilflex

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
idk, that g2x seems pretty sweet...dual core, front facer and vanilla. hmmm. that would be my pic atm. was thinkin same thing. not to mention wifi calling free.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Yall,

Has anyone found a good update to the N1 w/o all the carrier crap. Basically an updated N1 that isn't carrier locked and allows me to do what ever I want. I currently have an N1 ATT model. It's working well, but I'm just looking at the new toys coming out.

Kage_

For an unlocked, non-carrier, stock Android phone, you're only bet really is the NS. Believe it or not, the NS is actually an update to the N1. Performance is improved and the larger screen is nice. It's only real limitation might be the fixed memory size of the SD Storage. If you keep and use more than 14GB of stuff on your SD Card, that could be an issue.

I might also add, that unless you're flashing custom ROMs, you'll get better software update support on the Nexus phones. Even on the G2 and G2x, I'm not sure how quickly they get updates out and the carrier can still dictate what's included or excluded. (I seem to recall the G2 had the wireless hotspot disabled by the carrier, for example.)

dflores

May 5, 2011
Visit site
My wife has the Nexus S, while I have the N1. I'd say keep waiting. The NS is a sexy device, but it's not enough of an upgrade to spend that kind of money or commitment on. Plus, if you're going to use the stock ROM on the NS, the screen is very warm looking. It looks bad and inaccurate next to the N1. Also, stay away from the Thunderbolt. I have one for work. It's a terrible device. Poor battery life and poor data connectivity. I live in So Cal, not the sticks. You'd think it would have perfect connectivity. I'm hoping the HTC Sensation will come to AT&T. So my suggestion is really just to wait. You have a good phone for now. :)

Kage_

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Anyone looked at the Moto Atrix? The reviews are pretty good as long as you stay away from the dock feature. The downside is the bootloader is locked and encrypted, but that's not to much of an issue for me since I use it as a business phone.

HTC has kinda burned me on the N1 due to the power button issue and there non-willingness to fix them even under warranty, though they know it's a manufacturing defect. I've had Moto phone for a long time and they've lasted 2 - 3 years w/ normal wear and tear.

fasst27

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Atrix seems to be a good phone, but the SAR rating scares me! 1.47 W/kg!

One of the lowest SAR phones is the Samsung Infuse 4G. 4.5" of AMOLED goodness!

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
What do you all think of the Galaxy S II AT&T variant?

Could get that and root? (Though I have not rooted my N1 yet.) Don't want carrier crapware or touchwiz, but phone specs seem good.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
aviduser, if you haven't gotten a replacement yet, then you might want to consider the Galaxy S II Skyrocket, and of course, there's the Galaxy Nexus too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech